It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Ranged Attacks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:38 pm 

Can you use a ranged attack against a enemy model on your tile (Engaged) or is it Close Combat only?
Can you use a ranged attack against a enemy model on a different tile even if your model that is taking the shot is on an Engaged Tile?

Post subject: Re: Ranged Attacks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:03 pm 

Can you use a ranged attack against a enemy model on your tile (Engaged) or is it Close Combat only?

Yes. However it will follow:

Making a Ranged Attack at Engaged Models
A Model may target an opponent’s Model(s) Engaged in Close Combat. If it does, then it receives a -10 modifier to its RS Test value.

Can you use a ranged attack against a enemy model on a different tile even if your model that is taking the shot is on an Engaged Tile?

Yes. However it will follow:

Shooting through Engaged Tiles
While making a Ranged Attack, the attacker receives a -2 modifier to the RS Test for every Engaged Tile occupied by at least one enemy Model between the shooter and the target Tile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:58 am 

Thanks Jarek.
We did play it with the -10 RS modifier during our game as that's what we thought was the correct procedure. I can tell you the combat knife came out many times due to that rule.
My second question, I did know about shooting over engaged tiles gave a -2 modifier per tile. But what if my model is engaged and I make a Ranged Shot from my engaged tile to another tile that is not engaged. In this instance does my model receive any negative modifiers to its RS because my model is engaged even tho the shot is not going through any other engaged tiles?

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 pm 

macca2509 wrote:
Thanks Jarek.
We did play it with the -10 RS modifier during our game as that's what we thought was the correct procedure. I can tell you the combat knife came out many times due to that rule.
My second question, I did know about shooting over engaged tiles gave a -2 modifier per tile. But what if my model is engaged and I make a Ranged Shot from my engaged tile to another tile that is not engaged. In this instance does my model receive any negative modifiers to its RS because my model is engaged even tho the shot is not going through any other engaged tiles?

Mark

Yes, you are making a ranged attack out of (so through) an engaged tile, thus -2 modifier is applied.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:51 am 

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the tile the active model was occupying counted towards the shooting through engaged tiles.
Is the -2 per through engaged tiles accumulated with the -10 modifier if the target model is in hide? Or does the -10 modifier override that.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:50 pm 

if shooting through (or out of) an engaged tile to target in hiding i would imagine the effects are cumulative as they are modifiers from different sources. i can think of other combinations:

-shooting while engaged with an alien on an infested tile (-10 firing in melee, -4 for the infested tile)
-shooting out of an engaged tile, through a second engaged tile at a target in hiding (-2 shooting out of your tile, -2 through second engaged tile, -10 for hiding target)

in these instances i believe you would need a natural 1 as your RS here would be -14.

just remember:
-they can't recieve -4 for infested AND -10 for hide as hide overrules the infested tile rules
-you don't suffer -10 for firing at a model on your engaged tile and the -2 for shooting THROUGH an engaged tile (the -10 overrides)
-you cannot receive -10 firing at a hiding model on your same engaged tile (a total of -20) because as soon as you move to an engage a hidden alien, it is revealed.
as far as im aware due to unlimited range clause the shooting through engaged tiles stacks indefinitely - if you wanna try take a crack shot through 10 engaged tiles i guess ur welcome to try!

Thats atleast what i've been using. only issues i have with this is "special" ranged attacks and whether or not you NEED to use them (see my batch of questions)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:03 pm 

What happens if:

A not engaged Marine player shoots at an engaged tile with predator and alien ?

Does the marine player get -10 RS? He shouldn't mind who is he shooting at.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:43 pm 

Gacu666 wrote:
What happens if:

A not engaged Marine player shoots at an engaged tile with predator and alien ?

Does the marine player get -10 RS? He shouldn't mind who is he shooting at.

LOL, going by the rules as written you would have a -10 modifier, but you are right that the Marine shouldn't mind who he hits.
I can feel a house rule coming along :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:59 pm 

if shooting into an engaged tile full of hostiles i believe there would be no modifier, seeing as you are not shooting through or out of an engaged tile - which is what the modifier specifies in the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:46 am 

The engaged tile may be very lean and just run around in circles, maybe the marine can't aim at them straight?

We need to clear that up fast :lol: