It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: My thoughts of the game.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:46 am 

First of parden my english.
I love the game in its spirit and design, me and my freinds have played the 6 first missions in the book. But i must say that this game is the worst game ever when it comes to balance, its by far the most frustrating and disapointing game I have played. So why do I think this? I played as the alien factor. First of, my only way to inflict damage is in cc. But the models that the game comes with is not that good in cc, you maybe think but the infants have a cc of 15 and thats good. But when you try to hit a marine you get -4 on your cc becouse in 99% of the cases it will be on a normal tile, so the marine is actually better in hitting you in cc than the other way around. The stalker has a impressiv cc of 6 vs marines. And with a str of 10 they will always get there full armor check.
Then you have the tactical cards... The alien faction have nothing like the other factions powerfull cards, some better things in cc and movment but when you eat granades and plasmablasts and traps and so on and so on. Your extra buff in cc is worthless.
And ofcourse the alien explode rule have killed more of my own modells than the enemy.
If my math is correct it takes 2 1/2 alien infants to inflict 1 wound on a predator...

Sorry for the wal of text, just had to get it out of my system.
Anyone feel the same? Or have I missed something in the rulebook that helps the balance?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:49 pm 

The rule book does state that a friendly or foe can take the damage from acid blood spill but I do house rule it that it does not effect any alien. Am sure in the films it does not effect them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:16 pm 

macca2509 wrote:
The rule book does state that a friendly or foe can take the damage from acid blood spill but I do house rule it that it does not effect any alien. Am sure in the films it does not effect them.

Yes I think its good to houserule that one, its hard enough to get around the flamer and the disc. Loosing one or more modells extra to the rule is so frustrating.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:57 pm 

I would also go with the acid only effecting the preds and marines. Lets face it the aliens would be pretty naff if they cut themselves and then bled to death by melting every time. It stands to reason that they treat their own blood like every other animal and dont get melted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:33 pm 

AvP, the movie, shows the head is immune acid. I also agree, it makes sense as a house rule.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:52 am 

Read this under the section titled COMPOSITION.
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Xenomorph_blood
There is a scene in the first AvP film were the Pred shows the woman how the Alien head can be used as a shield to protect her from acid blood as it has no effect on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:15 am 

As for th OP. I felt the same way after the beatings I took as aliens. So I decided to try to calculate the the points of each squad to see if it was balanced. See my post on squad points. If you follow the book, the Aliens come out to 195 a the predators to 185. So you need to remove a stalker to make it an even fight. However, with my calculations the predators come out to 295. So you would need about 29 infants to make it a fair fight against the 3 predators. Maybe it's not about points. Maybe the Aliens have easier victory conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:05 pm 

elitor12 wrote:
As for th OP. I felt the same way after the beatings I took as aliens. So I decided to try to calculate the the points of each squad to see if it was balanced. See my post on squad points. If you follow the book, the Aliens come out to 195 a the predators to 185. So you need to remove a stalker to make it an even fight. However, with my calculations the predators come out to 295. So you would need about 29 infants to make it a fair fight against the 3 predators. Maybe it's not about points. Maybe the Aliens have easier victory conditions.

what everyone is missing is the swarm effect of the aliens at the start. 3 x predators, 5 x marines ...but,15 x aliens...so your pred or marine does one set of actions... then the other faction..then alien... rinse repeat...until 4th turn...now preds are done by that turn..marines have 2 more turns......so,now preds and marines have had all there actions a by turn 5...still a possible 10 aliens to have there turn unless you minus any you have killed of course!...so it kinda balances out...the tactic is to get close and take out as many aliens as possible early on.