It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Problems with Aliens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:54 am 

So My friends and I played our first game today. Naturally, I played the Predators.

My friend playing the Aliens decided to go after me.

The aliens kinda suck.

3 stalkers, and 2 Warriors Vs 1 Predator could not kill the Predator. He did do 2 wounds though.

I easily wiped out the 3 stalkers, moved another predator onto the tile and proceeded to wipe out the 2 warriors. In one turn, 5 Alien models gone and all he did was the 2 wounds.

The Aliens seem like they don't have much going for them... at all. At least right now.

On Skulking Advance. Does it only work on Infested tiles, or can you Skulking advance off off an infested tile and into non infested tiles?

Thats the only was I can see the Aliens being useful right now other than taking a sit and wait and do nothing approach and let the enemy come to them. yes, I know the "Wait" tactic is valid, but it's crap.

Post subject: Re: Problems with Aliens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:07 am 

Skulking advance does only work on infested tiles.

Playing only two of the armies without the 3rd from the box won't work most of the time. The missions are designed for 3 player and the models in the box. You will need to play pointed games from the advanced rules section if there's only two of you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:07 pm 

King is spot on. If you try the missions again try taking it in turns to move the marines. This allows some leeway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:13 pm 

My apologies, I was half asleep after work when I posted the original post. I did have a second friend who was playing the marines.

But the situation is still the same.

Aliens went after me and I wiped them out easily. They still seem weak.

Also, I have been reading the manual over and over. Skulking advance should work on half infested tiles because the book clearly says they count as infested tiles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:08 pm 

It does work on infested and semi infested tiles, not non infested. The aliens and marines get their bonus' on semi infested.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:16 pm 

Ok, well thats at least one thing solved then. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 am 

Ok, well please tell us what mission you played and a short description of the game, how it went, how people tried to achieve their missions, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:56 am 

Sure, I can do that. The Mission we Played was Mission 1.

I moved out into the lower hallway from the pod and began to spread out towards the Bridge and the engione room to try and get my scans in. Meanwhile, the Marines moved out into the hallway and set up firing positions. The aliens went after me from the get go. They pretty much came around the corner and I disked them, taking out 3 out of 4 in one go. Next turn they piled 4 on me and caused 2 wounds to the disk predator. In return I killed 2 in close combat. At this point ALL the stalkers were dead. I then moved over my combi-stick pred and finished off the remaining two aliens. Meanwhile the marines inched up another tile and sat right behind the north door in sentry mode. The rest of the aliens proceeded to moved after me and managed to kill the disk pred. Next turn My combi pred slaughtered 4 more Aliens.

9 out of 15 ALIENS down. The marine pulled a seal the doors card and place a door blocking the aliens way back to him. He then opened the north door and booked for the escape pod.

Next turn I managed to move my pred to the engine room and interact, and move the plasma pred to the bridge and interact. The aliens tried to follow me bt were short by 1 tile. I then pulled a run card and raced back down the hall past the aliend to meet up with the plasma pred. The humans managed to get the code from the escape pod and they bunkered down outside the vent to the engine room.

The aliens followed the combi pred down the hallway, and the marined slide through the vent into the endgine room. Next turn the marines got 1st go and won the game.

The Aliens had to win by killing 5 wounds of models. Humans needed the code and to get to the engine room. Preds needed to scan 4 rooms.

The Aliens never came close to their goal. I was halfway on mine, and the humans solid win without losing a single man.

The Aliens just kept coming after me and yet my friend that played them kept complaining at how badly he was doing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:53 pm 

Ive actually added between 3-5 addtl Aliens to the missions... the numbers seem a bit more even then...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:08 pm 

I think you friend was trying to kill you, ignored the marines and therefore you two had a one on one while the marines just didn't get involved and went for the mission. It ended as expected I would say :(