It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:58 am 

A tile can be occupied by 8 occupation units.
So, if a tile is occupied by three predators (3 x 2) and two acid tokens (2 x 1) it is fully
occupied but does not count as an engaged tile (not having two factions on it).

According to the rules for Alien Stalkers and Alien Infant Warriors it is forbidden to move into the tile.
How can the alien player attack the predators on this tile?
Are the predators save from attacks in this case?
I didn't find any rule, how the Aliens can attack them under this circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:14 pm 

What a good question !! I don't know. I think you found THE glitch :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:28 pm 

The aswer is on page 32 - engaging by displacing.

Although it's somewhat gobbeldygook, I believe you can count as engaged by being on an adjacent tile to the preds.
There's probably a complete description of what constitutes 'engagement' somewhere, but I didn't see it on a cursory look.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:29 pm 

Ah here it is, page 8

Engaged Tile – Any game Tile is considered to be
Engaged if one of the two following conditions is met.
• The Tile is occupied by at least two Models of
opposing Factions.
• The Tile is adjacent to a Tile fully occupied by the
Models from at least two Factions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:40 am 

Stuuk, in my case the fully occupied tile is not engaged with the adjacent tile because it is not occupied by different factions.

My approach to solve this problem would simply be a third definition of engagement:
• The tile is adjacent to a tile fully occupied and not containing models of the own faction.

(The reason would be that the tile is so full with occupants that they can reach into the adjacent tile or be reached from there because the models stand near the rim of the fully occupied tile.)

In the basic board game this point is no big deal because it only makes sense with three predators. But if more marines are in play they could block CC from normal aliens by fully occupying a tile with 8 marines. This would be a bad thing for the game.

Last edited by Deadcat on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 am 

Engage by displacing would not work, in this situation.

"If, at any time, an active Model on a medium, large or no base would like to join and engage a Tile that is already occupied... "

Stalkers and Infant Warriors are small bases.

Jesus, I just tried to parse the full sentence...

"If, at any time, an active Model on a medium, large or no base would like to join and engage a Tile that is already occupied in such a way that there are no Occupation Points left for the engaging Model to move onto it legally and the destination Tile isn’t fully occupied, then the active Model may swap positions with enough Models so that the newly Engaged Tile is legally fully occupied."

Not only is this a mess of a sentence, but I just noticed in ends with "fully occupied".

So... in the given example, even if I could move a Stalker into the tile, kicking out a Predator, I still wouldn't be able to do it, because then the tile wouldn't be fully occupied.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:35 pm 

montanhas18 wrote:
Engage by displacing would not work, in this situation.

"If, at any time, an active Model on a medium, large or no base would like to join and engage a Tile that is already occupied... "

Stalkers and Infant Warriors are small bases.

Jesus, I just tried to parse the full sentence...

"If, at any time, an active Model on a medium, large or no base would like to join and engage a Tile that is already occupied in such a way that there are no Occupation Points left for the engaging Model to move onto it legally and the destination Tile isn’t fully occupied, then the active Model may swap positions with enough Models so that the newly Engaged Tile is legally fully occupied."

Not only is this a mess of a sentence, but I just noticed in ends with "fully occupied".

So... in the given example, even if I could move a Stalker into the tile, kicking out a Predator, I still wouldn't be able to do it, because then the tile wouldn't be fully occupied.

You're completly right (that's what i was talking about glitch, only med, large or no base can use this rule).

Someone from Prodos can specify this point of rules please ?

Without an offical answer, i'm pretty sure we should allowed "Engage by displacing" to small base if the Tile finish fully occupied at the end of the move.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:39 pm 

I would just go with allowing CC from an adjacent tile if the target is in a tile which is full..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:44 pm 

stuuk wrote:
I would just go with allowing CC from an adjacent tile if the target is in a tile which is full..

That would be my advise, too.

I think the rules about displacement of models are not very good rules for nice gameplay because they interfere with other players movement by devaluating their actions. Better is to make the cc possible without invalidating actions.

And besides that it would be not a realistic picture for me if some lonely little stalker throws a predator out of a tile full of predators. :D
Tossing enemy models around should be a thing for the big guys only.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:39 pm 

Deadcat wrote:
And besides that it would be not a realistic picture for me if some lonely little stalker throws a predator out of a tile full of predators. :D
Tossing enemy models around should be a thing for the big guys only.

In my point of view, you have to apply "Engage by displacing" but you have to used 3 small bases to move 1 med base.
So in your exemple you have to rush the 3 Preds with 3 Aliens. That's a charging movement for me cause you have to use 3 models to remove 1....its a nice and ambitious move but really dangerous....as when you jump on a real CC fight 8-)

Prodos, your point of view ? I think you crashtested this rules isn'it ?