It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Shooting engaged models
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:13 am 

This is another topic, which made me thinking.

The rule for shooting an engaged enemy model tells us to subtract 10 from the RC roll - without further exceptions.
(In my imagination this rule comes from the shooter being far more carefully for not hitting his friend engaged with the target enemy model.)

1)
First of all, I think this rule is not very realistic but it is okay.
A soldier is trained NOT to shoot in the direction of it's own buddies. It is always a bad idea in the first place and often leads to "friendly fire" - casualties caused by own troops.
But I follow the game. It is an exceptional situation when aliens hang around your buddy and to allow that is a pretty straight idea - because it is allowed in reality, too.
My approach to an even funnier game would be to hit the friendly guy on a RC roll of 20. Friendly fire!

2)
The other more important thing is to shoot an engaged model which is engaged with another enemy model. (e.g. a marine shooting an alien which is engaged with a predator)
The -10 should not apply for engaged models of two enemy factions because in this case there is no reason for shooting more carefully. My experience as an ex-soldier is telling me that it would be even more easy to hit a soldier that is engaged in close combat, because he can not concentrate on evading incoming shots but has to win the close combat.
Soldiers evading incoming fire get down or stay behind obstacles. Soldiers in close combat stand up being a good target for bullets. So there is no reason to get a -10.
Far more appropriate would be a normal RC and to hit the model of the wrong player if the shooter rolls the exact number he needs for the hit on his RC roll.

What do you think of these two points?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:02 pm 

I guess -10 is due to the fact that both targets are fighting - and so moving, pushing and pulling themselves making them difficult to hit. On the view of the game designer at least - I think.

I don't think is so irrealistic - but maybe -6/-4 malus would be better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:13 pm 

I'm not totally agree with that.
For me, shooting on an ennemy in CC with buddies or ennemies should have the same difficulty level (i'm not talking about the value of the modificator, only the fact to apply or not this modificator). You have to be accurate to hit the target you choosed.

However the fail should not have the same consequences (that's the problem for me) but the ability test and the modificator should be the same.

I really love your idea to hit your friends on a 20

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:46 pm 

So you would say the shot is the same difficulty if your target may be partly obscured by a friend or by an enemy?
Do you have real life experience doing this?

Just imagine all those films of policemen shooting at a car with a bank robber and a hostage. Would that shot be the same difficulty if the bank robber is accompagnied by another bank robber instead of a hostage?

The point is not about accurately hitting the target but at the same time maximizing the chance of not hitting the wrong target.
If my friend stands near or in front of the target this is a big problem. If another enemy stands near or in front of the target it is not a problem at all because hitting the 'wrong' target would be definitely okay.
If you shoot at two guys engaged in CC and it's okay to hit one of them it is even more easy than to hit a single target that is concentrating on evading incoming shots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:41 pm 

I think this rule exist for balance reason in a 3 player game.
If not it will to easy for a marine or a predator warrior to win, the first to engage the alien will loose because they become too easily shoot.

And it's worst for the aliens because they only have close combat to win. With this rule close combat became a cover for the alien play and he have a chance to survive.

It's not realistic, but it's a game and it's balance is important too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:21 pm 

Good point. Accepted!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:40 pm 

Hi, guys!
Could someone repost the answer to both questions, as the picture is unavailable...