It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:17 pm 

v.0.8 [12 October 2015]

I'll do my best to compile a FAQ, any contributions and discussions are welcomed and will be contributed to their author here and in BGG AvP forums. Keep in mind this is my understanding of the game, I will try to visit the page once a day and correct any mistakes.

Where can I find the rules on-line?
You can download them from Prodos website here: http://calc.prodos.co.uk/photos/avprulebook.pdf

Important base rules that you can easily forget:
- Each Action can only be used once by a Model in a Game Turn, unless specified otherwise. Disengaging counts as a Movement Action.
- Deactivated - Any model that spent its AP is deactivated. Exception: Sentry (A).
- Re-roll - A Player may re-roll a die only once (re-rolls cannot be re-rolled).
- Strategy cards - you can mulligan once at the beginning of the first game turn and draw another 5 cards.
- Strategy cards - max. hand size: 5, discard immediately if you have more cards. Min. hand size five, draw up to 5 at the beginning of each Game Turn.
- Strategy cards - play max. 2 cards per Game Turn.
- Strategy cards - you can play them between activations, not between actions.

Errata:
- There are cards containing RoF term? What is this?
Any instance of "RoF" refers to "RoA".

- Page 8 in the English rules: Engaged Tile / second definition
(confirmed by Jarek Ewertowski, reported by Deadcat in Prodos forums) Wrong rules text: • The Tile is adjacent to a Tile fully occupied by the Models of at least two factions.
correct text: • The Tile is adjacent to a fully occupied Tile.

Actions:
Common Actions:
1. Sentry (A)
You can use it before or between enemy actions.
(confirmed by Jarek, reported by Mike Bissell in BGG) Costs 1 AP and lets you hold on your second AP for later, as written in the rules. (Seems now that Marines Tactical Move is so much better!).

2. Shooting action with ROA greater 1 in Sentry
You get the full RoA of the weapon.

3. Dodge (P)
(note) Dodge rolls cannot be made to avoid hits from Flame thrower Attacks.

Marines:
1. Seal the Bulkhead (A)
Requires CC check, often forgotten. If you fail the CC check, he Model loses its remaining Actions and is deactivated immediately. Allows up to three Doors to be created per game!

2. Rapid Fire (A)
Cannot be used with a Flamethrower.

3. Tactical Move (A)
(unclear) Not mentioned as movement action, yet it makes sense to be considered such to avoid using the sentry token for Movement action.

Predators:
1. Seasoned Hunter (P)
You can place the revealed model before any model with Sentry token in LoF gets a chance to use its Sentry token.

2. Vocal Mimicry (P)
(very unclear) Tokens are removed from play any time they are forced to take damage. What about Armor rolls?
(most likely) Tokens are removed when they take a hit or enter LoF.

3. Smart-Disc Throw (A) against Marines
Predator player allocate the inflicted wounds, Marine player redistributes them as he wishes because of Team Tactics (P). If there are two models and the Smart Disc makes 2 hits, both models will receive a wound as the Smart Disc rules state a model can only receive one wound as result of Smart Disc Throw.

4. Field Wound Treatment (A)
You can use the action as many times you want, but you can only regain one wound per game.

Aliens:
1. Extended Action – Run (A) with Stalker Aliens modified by additional movement card
You get to move 4 tiles.

2. Acid Spit (A) with Acid Spit with RoA 2 (modified as ranged weapon using the Advanced Rules)
(very unclear) Do we get 2 RS tests per model?
*Begs clarification - if you use the advanced rules Acid Spit is listed as ranged weapon there, so you can modify RoA, but it doesn't have a profile (assumed profile is St12, RoA1, AVV5 if we follow the example in the Rulebook and Acidic Blood profile). The question is if it changes something in the attached special action Acid Spit (A). Also if the Acid Spit can be used as a normal weapon - which doesn't make any sense unless it's range 1 (as the action Acid Spit).

3. Hide (A), Improved Hide (A)
If enemy model moves to the infested tile all models in Hide on that tile are revealed. Hide is very good against shooting, but does nothing against Close Combat. Note that being engaged also applies -10 RS modifier to whomever is shooting at the engaged model.

4. Assisting in Force the Doors Open (A)
(possible) Should be (P) skill? Any Alien model on adjacent tile counts as assisting. I'm not sure if it is how it works, after all - if it's an active skill, it would require all models to spent 1 AP, and leave them with 1 AP each, which has to be noted somehow for each participating model.

5. Acidic Blood (P) damage when token is dropped
(needs clarification) By reading the rules the acid splash from the Acidic Blood will damage your own models, but I'd never play it like this as Aliens have been immune to acid in almost every occasion I can think of (movies, books, games).

Q&A:
Q: Can you throw a Smart-Disc through a locked door?
A: According to the rules (page 30 in the EN Rules) the Smart-Disc can be thrown to a tile without LoS and it cuts easily through most materials, so my best guess is you should allow throwing the disc through doors if you want to follow the rules. Of course this can be subject of house rules - personally I think the heavy-duty bulkheads should withstand anything but high-power explosives and Aliens concentrated attacks, so no disc going through them*
*if the disc would cut through reinforced materials so easy, it would also cut the walls around you and you are in space.

Q: If there are multiple models doing CC, RC or movement with their 1st action and go on sentry with their 2nd, how do you mark which model had done which action (to secure that no model is doing the same action twice)?
A: As per Jarek contribution you need to keep 1 AP with the Sentry (A) action, so you cannot possibly make another action, unless you have cards that add to your number of APs. In such cases you can just remember the action the model did during its activation.

Q: How does the tactical card SPEARGUN work?
A: This is not an attack or action, so it works as the text describes: you can target any model withing LoS and withing range of 3 tiles, roll D20, on a result between 1 and 10 the model gets St15 hit (and the respective armor check to see if he would receive a wound).

Q: What about a first roll of 20 with weapons that allow a re-roll. Does the 20 end the activation or does the following re-roll overwrites its effect?
A: My best guess is that you are NOT allowed to re-roll. The Fumble roll description says you are not allowed to use your Model Experience Level to re-roll a roll of 20 (page 7 in the EN Rules).

Q: And what about a Weapon with ROA greater than 1, does it stop to fire directly after the 20 is rolled or may the following shots be taken?
A:[i] (previously misinterpreted) The table on page 25 shows that the Model ends its activation of it rolls a 20. This is still a failed roll, so there is RoA check and the model is allowed to continue rolling its dice up to the weapon RoA. This allows the Fact Dice rule to be used, rolling all dice at once and distributing the hits after rolling the dice. Please note that using Fast Dice rule may be applied to Close Combat and Ranged Attacks only if there is no possibility to have different modifiers for attacking each of the targets (e.g. you cannot roll all of your dice with RS14 and then allocate one of the hits to a Model with Hide (-10 modifier) or roll with CC12 and then allocate RoA on a model with -4 modifier in CC). In such cases you should roll the die one by one.[/i]

Q: If two cards contradict each others effect, which one has priority? E.g. Gravity Fluctuations (maximum move of 1 tile) and Monstrous Endurance (Predator may move 1 additional tile)
A: I don't see the conflict here: Gravity Fluctuations caps the maximum number of tiles you can move any model. Monstrous Endurance gives you additional movement, but it is still subject of the maximum number of tiles you can move the Model, so even if it's allowed to move one additional tile, the maximum he can move is still one, so the card would be wasted. At least this is my interpretation based on the number of board, card and miniature games I've played.

Q: Rules say that model may only be allowed to attack a fully occupied tile from an adjacent tile if it is an engaged tile (occupied by different factions). How can a small model (unable to push other models) engage enemies of one single faction that fully occupy a tile (e.g. 3 predators and 2 acid tokens)?
A: The Close Combat Rules on page 28 state that a model is only allowed to attack if both the Model is engaged and its target is counts as engaged. Reading further in the page, the model is only engaged if its tile is Engaged or the adjacent Fully Occupied tile is Engaged. So to answer your question - my best guess is that you cannot do a Close Combat action against a Fully Occupied tile where there is only single faction models.

Q: Rulebook says that you can not trace LOS into air vents (page 12). Nowhere is said that you can not shoot into or through them.
So can I use the flamer in combination with the motion tracker to shoot into or through it (because no LOS is required for flamer+tracker)? And can I throw the smart disc through it (because no LOS is required for smart disc)?
A: My best guess is: yes, you should be able to throw a Smart-Disc through air vents or shoot with the Burning Inferno (A) and Ping! interaction. After all, the air vents count as normal tile for moving of small-based models and models with Tiny (P) can even stop there.

Q: Does the card that forces you to draw five more (and then discard down to five) count as one of the two cards that you can play each round? One thing is that it gives you lots of new options, but another thing is that you can't decide whether you actually want to play it or not.
A: The Tactical Advantage card doesn't count as one of the two cards you are allowed to play. It is revealed the moment you draw it.

Q: Doors, LoS, abilities
A: (unclear) The rules do not state doors block LoS, which is probably oversight, so it's easy to accept they do block it. There are number of abilities and cards that work without LoS, but tell us nothing about doors. In my group we decided that Smart-Disc, Flame Thrower, Grenades, etc. all can target w/o LoS, but doors block them. This just makes more sense in terms of realism.

Q: Do the sentry tokens from cards like Right on Time and Perfect Timing need another Action point from the model activation (same as Sentry (A)), or the models can be used normally and still have a Sentry token to spare?
A: The card states you need to target models that are not activated and since the Sentry token can be used before their activation, you will be able to make a move/CC/RS with it w/o spending another action the same way you do with Sentry (A). This way the card gives you free action point, which makes it a bit OP (you can target two marines, then activate them and run and still have AP left, and the card is strong even w/o this), so IMO you should still leave AP for the Sentry action just to be fair to your opponents. The Marines deck is very good as it is.

Q: Can Flamethrower be shot from Sentry? Nowhere does it say that you can perform a 'burning inferno' action out of it, as it specifically says that you can shoot, move, or CC from Sentry. Does 'burning inferno' count as a shooting action (I don't have the cards on hand right now)?
A: The description of Burning Inferno (A) states it counts as a Shooting Action, so you should be allowed to use it in Sentry. Same with Rapid Fire (A).

Q: Can strategy cards influence flamethrower shots (i.e. increase the St and RoA?)
A: Unclear but probably yes. For example Rapid Fire (A) specifically excludes template weapons (and even if there is no reference in the rules, the flamethrower is the epitome of template weapon and I'd count it as such no matter what), but the card Laser Targeter doesn't have such exclusion in the text. Marksman and Fire Team should be allowed anyway, they boost the Marine performance, not his weapons.

Q: Can multiple cards be played to influence a single action?
A: Sure, there is nothing against it in the rules, except that you are only allowed to play 2 cards per turn. You just have to apply the modifiers if your opponents decide to interfere with your plans.

Q: How do I tell the retail version from the KS one?
A: Thinner box from outside , the difference inside is more obvious (images courtesy or Urbain De Winter):

KS:

Retail:

...to be continued.

Last edited by ntsekov on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [Unofficial] FAQ
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:00 am 

If there are multiple models doing CC, RC or movement with their 1st action and go on sentry with their 2nd, how do you mark which model had done which action (to secure that no model is doing the same action twice)?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:54 pm 

How does the tactical card SPEARGUN work?
Is it an action that is made instead of another RS-attack of the predator or is it an additional attack which can be played together with the normal ranged attack?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:57 pm 

What about a first roll of 20 with weapons that allow a reroll.
Does the 20 end the activation or does the following reroll overwrites its effect?

And what about a Weapon with ROA greater than 1, does it stop to fire directly after the 20 is rolled or may the following shots be taken (because it is stated on page 25 that after a roll of 20 the model cannot make any other actions). The action doesn't end after the first shot, it ends if all ROAs are completed.
So does the roll of 20 deactivates the model immediately or after the completed action?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:09 pm 

Rules say that model may only be allowed to attack a fully occupied tile from an adjacent tile if it is an engaged tile (occupied by different factions).
How can a small model (unable to push other models) engage enemies of one single faction that fully occupy a tile (e.g. 3 predators and 2 acid tokens)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 am 

Rulebook says that you can not trace LOS into airvents (page 12). Nowhere is said that you can not shoot into or through them.
So can I use the flamer in combination with the motion tracker to shoot into or through it (because no LOS is required for flamer+tracker)?
And can I throw the smart disc through it (because no LOS is required for smart disc)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:02 am 

If two cards contradict each others effect, which one has priority?

e.g. Gravity Fluctuations (maximum move of 1 tile) and Monstrous Endurance (Predator may move 1 additional tile)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:33 pm 

Updated with Q&A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:42 pm 

Deadcat wrote:
If two cards contradict each others effect, which one has priority?

e.g. Gravity Fluctuations (maximum move of 1 tile) and Monstrous Endurance (Predator may move 1 additional tile)

To my reasoning both cards have an effect.
a) all models from the start of the turn have a max of 1 tile move.
b) pred player increases 1 pred to move two tiles using his card.

Everyone is penalised and the pred player gets the usual benefit of his card but move 2 instead of 3.
I never considered this an issue, or unfair.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:41 pm 

My logic is that Gravity Fluctuations puts a limit on the max movement, no matter how much faster you make a single Model it won't be able to move more than that (similarly to the impenetrable armor). There would be no point in the current wording if the case was different.