It is currently Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:07 am 

Thanks for letting us know your answers.

ntsekov wrote:
v.0.3 [07 September 2015]
Q&A:
Q: Can you throw a Smart-Disc through a locked door?
A: According to the rules (page 30 in the EN RUles) the Smart-Disc can be thrown to a tile without LoS and it cuts easily through most materials, so my best quess is you should allow throwing the disc through doors. Of course this can be subject of house rules.

Bulkheads are not most materials and the rules say that doors "separate" tiles from another.
If you take into account that a smart disc blade can cut bulkhead steel it is still only a slim cut not letting the much thicker disc through.
I definitely would say that doors block them!
(Besides the smart disc is kind of an overpowered weapon. Making it even better can not be the goal.)
Is there any movie reference of a smart disc being thrown through a steel plate?

ntsekov wrote:
v.0.3 [07 September 2015]Q: Rules say that model may only be allowed to attack a fully occupied tile from an adjacent tile if it is an engaged tile (occupied by different factions). How can a small model (unable to push other models) engage enemies of one single faction that fully occupy a tile (e.g. 3 predators and 2 acid tokens)?
A: The Close Combat Rules on page 28 state that a model is only allowed to attack if both the Model is engaged and its target is counts as engaged. Reading further in the page, the model is only engaged if its tile is Engaged or the adjascent Fully Occupied tile is Engaged. So to answer your question - my best guess is that you cannot do a Close Combat action against a Fully Occupied tile where there is only single faction models.

I know very well what the rules state. They are totally clear about this point.
But you may be aware that the situation makes no sense. Just imagine a straight corridor with three predators and the acid counters adjacent to a tile with a bunch of aliens who are not able to attack, no matter what they do.
And if one of the acid counters would be a marine instead the aliens on the adjacent tile would count as engaged.
It doesn't make any sense, does it?
I would very strongly recommend to change this rule.

And for my taste there are to many guesses to the other answers for a solid rule book. What a pity for the AVP game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:56 am 

I totally agree it makes no sense for the Disc to be able to cut through doors. You are in space, why not cut through walls too? :)

As for the situation with Fully Occupied by predators tile - I imagine you should have to throw about few hundred Aliens to such group. Such situation requires three Predators and two tokens or four Predators and they have to stick to the tile and not pursue their mission objectives. In advanced rules game it would happen more often but then all forces will probably have 40mm bases at that point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:06 am 

Your points defending the stacking rule are not valid, because that is true for Predators, Marines and Aliens as well and it should work for small scenarios with small models as well.
E.g. imagine a scenario where the marines have to hold a perimeter and the aliens have to kill the marines. If there are 5 Marines and a Power Loader on a tile, the Aliens can't attack and just lose the scenario because the game designers didn't do their home work? I call bull sh*t!

And it would be so easy to rule this in a better way. Just skip the "engaged" in the rule "adjacent to a fully occupied and engaged tile" and everything would be okay.
The side effect would be to make the not so good pushing rule obsolete. Pushing a model away from it's position without making/winning a CC is a bad rule anyway. It leads to so many other unrealistic situations which doesn't serve good and elegant gameplay. We discussed that in other topics already.

I wonder how long we have to wait until some official or game designer shows up in this forum. It's ridiculous regarding the money they made with the game. I'm really beginning to be pissed about this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:30 am 

In such scenario it is likely you will have some Alien Warriors, and Acid Spit is best against targets piled on a single tile. Why blame the designers when it is you that didn't use Aliens' speed to get somewhere first, didn't take some Alien on a middle base and didn't include any Alien Warriors in the list (which, admit, is unlikely to happen, they are 22 pts)?

The rule doesn't lead to "so many unrealistic situations", it leads to the rare occasion you have all of your tools dead, your opponent has the right need, and he can dig in himself in a tile that you cannot touch.

I don't mind if they change it, but I won't put it high in the needs-t-be-done list. Now Acidic Blood killing Aliens that are supposed to be immune to it - this is something that happens every single game, and is pure oversight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:36 am 

Yeah, maybe you're right. It isn't that important.
The real downsides of the game is somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:58 pm 

Updated, added:
- Strategy card clarification
- Speculations about Doors, LoS and abilities and weapons that don't need LoS
- Marines: Tactical Move (A)
- More speculations

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:49 am 

v.0.5

Changed the Q&A about Fumble rolls. You are actually allowed to roll up to your RoA and use the Fast Dice rules, at least if your targets don't have different modifiers to CC or RS.

Changed the Q&A about using Sentry tokens and marking the Models' first actions. As per Jarek contribution, Sentry requires one AP to be held off for later, so the only way to have AP spent on another action is to add one with a card. In such case feel free to mark this action in any possible way or just remember it, as there won't be more than one or two models per turn requiring such attention.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:56 pm 

Errata:

page 8 / Engaged Tile / second definition
wrong rules text: • The Tile is adjacent to a Tile fully occupied by the Models of at least two factions.
correct text: • The Tile is adjacent to a fully occupied Tile.

I got this point officially cleared during a discussion with the game designer Jarek Ewertowski on the games fair "Spiel2015" in Essen/Germany yesterday.