It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Advanced game question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:14 pm 

So I heard playing the advanced rules where you are adding up points for your squad makes the game more fair for each faction.

My question is, do you still use the environment cards as well as the strategy cards for each faction or do you not use them anymore for an advanced game.

In my mind I thought the cards were what made up for the lack of points in certain factions to the others but, that was my own theory

any help would be great

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:10 pm 

Most of the advance game rules don't change much in most of your models (sure, some will get a couple of re-rolls and heal possibility, but they will be close to base stats), so the cards will still be a balancing factor. Seems there is nothing in the rules about it, so I'd use them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:29 am 

In my personal opinion it is a win for more tactical gameplay to leave the cards in the box or cut them down to three cards in hand playing one each turn. Or revealing an environment card only on 1-10 on a d20.

In our games it most often was all about doing a card battle not a tactical miniatures game where clever movement and good coordination of actions brings you to your goal. The cards put your tactical plans to the ground and let the player win, who draws cards more luckily.
And on top of that you are forced to read a lot of text all the time, slowing the gameplay down and destroying the fast paced action this game is about.
Drawing the tactical advantage card, shuffling everything back and drawing and reading 5 new cards (and eventually getting the tactical advantage card again) when the action is on its high is kind of a pain in the ass.
Just think of the gameplay of SpaceHulk. So I don't like the cards all to much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:32 am 

The cards are there to balance some shortcomings on each side (which is why Predator's cards are not as good as the Marines or Aliens). But everyone is free to leave them out of the game, house rules always trump every other rule :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:41 am 

Is that an unsharp impression or did you analyze the difference in the cards?
Can you tell more about that?

If the cards are really the thing that balances power between factions, it should scale with the size of the game.
(e.g. If you play with double the points you should get double the cards). But it doesn't do that, does it?