It is currently Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Average Playing Tme
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:16 pm 

I read about the time to play AVP somewhere, but couldn't find the thread any more.

It was said that the playing time is about 2 hours for a scenario.

I don't know how to put it, but I think this is plain wrong.
We played three times the first and most easy scenario and every time (!) we sat for 4 to 5 hours at the table.

The complete explanation of the basic game rules each time was about 45 minutes.
The playing time nearly 4 hours - for the first scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to say we had not a lot of fun, but the game is so cumbersome and slow that you
hang around for quite some time playing that one.
The downside of it is to not be able playing two or three games on one session.
So if you play a Blitz-Tactics (e.g. trying to grab the 5 marines very quickly in the first scenario to win it) and have no success, you will sit 2 hours
at the side and watch your other two buddies finishing the game. Not the most entertaining option.
But if you be in play the whole time the game delivers very low content for the playing time you invested.

I'd say the long playing time for what it does, is one of the biggest downsides of the game.
What is your experience with the duration?

Post subject: Re: Average Playing Tme
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:07 am 

You lost me... weren't you done with the game?
http://www.forum.prodosgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2279&sid=89807e32ab42ba5f8ea14a436f83f6d3

Does this require a brand new topic?

Is 4 games a large enough sample to determine how long an average game takes, even for beginners?

Am I asking too many questions? I'll just get some coffee...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:05 pm 

I've played 4 games so far and the longest one took 2 1/2 hours while learning the rules. Now games take about an hour and 45 min on average.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:49 am 

@ montanhas18: yeah, you're right, I'm kinda lost but besides that I'm a big fan of those Prodos miniatures.
They definitely totally rock and I like them more than Terminators and Genestealers.
btw: I did a new topic to not disturb other topics with this discussion. I hope that's okay.

I need to know this for comparison to SpaceHulk.
Since yesterday there are free Predator rules for SpaceHulk out there in english language.
They spread via email among SpaceHulk fans. Can't wait to try them out!

Playing a beginners scenario in SH takes 20 min of explaining and up to an hour to play.
Seems to be way more speedy.

@ JBar: thanks for this. Good to hear that other players need 45 minutes to explain, too.
I think it's kind of a pain in the ass to get a new player on board.
Did this two times and really don't like to do it again. Wanna play - not explain rules forever.

Does anyone has some data on other scenarios than the first from AVP?
Are the other scenarios all of comparable playing time or is duration longer in the advanced scenarios?
I got the impression the late scenarios are of bigger size. Don't know it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:56 am 

JBar wrote:
I've played 4 games so far and the longest one took 2 1/2 hours while learning the rules. Now games take about an hour and 45 min on average.
I have similar experience, I teach the game in 20 minutes or so, most of the intricate rules shown during the game, and games won't go over 2-2.5 hours, or even less (it really depends on dice and the people you play with).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:43 pm 

Hm, if you only explain 20 minutes the new player will not be able to make tactical good decissions because he doesn't know the complete rules.
I like to tell a new player all the rules that he can play seriously from the beginning.

Today I did the first Scenario with the unofficial SpaceHulk rules and it was way faster and created a better feeling of the world.
We played it in only 1 hour. And those rules seem to be much more balanced than the original rules.
So, I'm a big fan of AVP and the box full of goodies, but not a fan of the original rulebook.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:07 pm 

I have a store & a gaming club and I explain games more often than I read new game rules, and that's often enough. Much easier to demonstrate and teach this way, I wouldn't expect anyone to play as a seasoned player on his first session, or to have patience to just listen about the rules w/o much or any context.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:29 am 

We have a gaming club down here with about 250 members and it is normal to precisely explain the rules of a game before starting to play.
My buddies are trained to understand masses of new rules in short time and put it into context to tactics for the upcoming game.
So no problem here. But AVP rules are double complicated and doesn't do more than the rules of SpaceHulk.
Much of dice rolling. To see if you hit a Stalker you have to roll three times. And the probability is so low you have to do it often till he dies.
So much rolling and not much happens. It makes the game so cumbersome and a waste of time without real fun.
And on top of it it being more complicated for similar content there are too many situations being unruled, unclear or totally off the universe
we know from the films.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:02 pm 

In my group is 40 mins per basic play and around 3 hours per 200 points advance game