It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL FAQ
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:47 pm 

CrusaderJD wrote:
Climbing Claws:
I agree, this is a cool power/skill... but largely useless, I've never seen it in practice...
Fumble/Power Shot:
I agree... I dont believe these apply in the smart disc special attack.
Close Combat/Shooting:
I do the same thing you do... I think ultimately, so long as the players agree, whatever works doesnt necessarily needs a rules call on it...
Alien Trophy:
I always assumed delivered meant, "get to the vent and spend an action to stuff em in."

Apart from the Climbing Claws, the others are unclear and should be FAQed (lel the sound of it). While you or I can easily discern the "logical" path, a board game's instructions should not burden us with the need to do so. Crystal clear is the only way a game's rule has to be. I believe these things belong to the FAQ.

Grendel76 wrote:
CrusaderJD wrote:
Alien Trophy:
I always assumed delivered meant, "get to the vent and spend an action to stuff em in."

That is how we have played it, too.
1 action to make the trophy (cocoon the victim),
* walk/run to vent,
1 action to stuff them in the vent (glue in place).
Interestingly enough there is not a maximum number of trophies per vent tile.

And yet, since you can only do each action only once, you need to do at least two turns to do that. I.E. one turn to INTERRACT pick up and one turn to INTERRACT place on adjacent air vent tile. No hope for the aliens. One can shoot the carrier and with the restrictions the aliens always get killed. This links with my suggestion to lift the "once per turn" restriction from the Intrerract action.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:31 am 

Chronomancer wrote:
Yo, I continue :)

Please bare in mind that not all these are FAQs and may need to be moved to the other Thread where "New Rule Suggestions" are the name of the game.

Alien special actions:
They seem pretty useless, at least in most of the scenarios. An alien would benefit from -4 if standing on infested, -10 if hiding on infested. From hide, it can only expend 2 action points to make a one-tile-move and stay hidden, or lose it and act normaly. I suggest giving the option to "hide" even outside the infested tiles, with a penalty of -4 or -6. Flamers autohit, Smart Disc autohits, Smartgun has a re-roll... It just hurts simple guns and plasmas.

Predator special actions:
Expend two action points for a 50-50? I've hardly seen this getting used. Even the "close door" marine action needs a 12 to happen (60-40). I suggest buffing it up, and change accordingly the relevant Predator card.

Marine special actions:
Tactical Advance needs a clarification. Is it a MOVE action? in the rulebook it says that there are only two move actions, "Move" and "Run". So, I can move my marine 1 tile and then sentry him on a seccond tile.

Vocal Mimicry/Gun Emplacement:
... And Pass... Why not Pass... Why only move and run... if I move (GE shoot) what do I do with the seccond action point...?

Interact action:
Unlike other actions, Interact should be used multiple times. Imagine the Aliens trying to damage rooms, and they need 4 tokens. Like, you need 8 aliens in the room to do it in one turn with that 50-50 chance. Or need to have 8 turns with 1 alien... Why can't you give an extra action to a model, Interract a door, move in, Interract the room? With "Interract" needing you to be unengaged, things get even harder

Shooting from/through engaged tiles:
1stly, clarify that your own engaged tile gives you a penalty to shoot outside it. 2ndly, that -2 is a joke and needs boosting, at least for the first tile (like -4 and extra -2 for each engaged beyond 1st), if not deleting altogether.
I mean, seriously fellas, I often see 5 marines on one tile engaged with 3 aliens, dodging off wounds with them sucky statistics the aliens have, saying "oh, what the hell, i'll just shoot the others on 60-40 hit chance, no pressure"... A Marine shooting out of combat has a 60% chance to hit, and a 45% chance of that to kill an Infant. The infant has a 55% CC hit chance and then a 35% chance to kill (even less if you count heal...). WTF?
Realisticaly, you gotta shoot the big bad wolf amonst you.

Close Combat/Shooting:
On engaged tiles occupied by two factions other than your own, the game needs to clarify how you split your "RoA". Do you pick one side and roll or RoA or say "These 2 dice go Alien and these 2 dice go Predator"? The seccond is my way, but the rulebook says nothing.

Smart Disc/Shotgun:
You can effectively shoot and cc with these weapons on the same turn. WTF? The Marine Sergeant will effectively shoot 3 engaged and X other models, where X is any number between 1 and 16... So like 4 to 19... WTF? Smart Dist for 3+2+2? With a strength 15/autokill? WTF?

Fumble/Power Shot:
Has to only apply to ACTION TEST ROLLS. Shooting TEST, Close Combat TEST. This cannot apply to "Smart Disc: Throw" for example. That is not a test, it is a "Roll two dice" (a.k.a. mechanic)

Climbing Claws:
"Fully Occupied, Unengaged". Like "If you are an Idiot or play Target Practice for Flamers/Shotguns and Other Goodies, now you can add ACROBATICS to the show". The only way to see a "FOU" tile is if you play a million points and don't give a care. I suggest that the Stalkers be able to move above EVEN ENGAGED tiles.

Hot Plasma:
Specify that the "offencive re-rolls" occur when using any weapon with "Plasma" on it's name, and not a Model. The "Hot Plasma" is written on the model both on the card and on the rulebook...

Mission Tiles:
Some missions include MORE infested tiles than are supplied in the box. Lel

Alien Trophy:
You need to pick up a token and then deliver it to vents. Eh... "Excuse me sir, have you heard of our lord and saviour Explainisus". How on Khorne's Throne does one "Deliver". Do I have to stay on a room next to a vent and use another Interract? Do I have to declare a move/run that includes the vent and then it autostays in?

Alien special actions:

I can not agree with you more.

Predator special actions:

Well they are 50-50, but we are talking about healing a wound, that is by far not like just create a random door.

Marine special actions:

This one has been adress is a move and sentry 2 points action. Witch means the marine can choose either to move or attack as reaction to the enemy.

I dont get your point, But gun placement still doesn't have a rule as far as I know ;)

Interact action:

Maybe, I haven't got that much trouble with this mechanic.

Shooting from/through engaged tiles:

Agree

Close Combat/Shooting:

Ypu choose the objective of your attacks always on every single attack, you are suppose to go one by one choosing.

Smart Disc/Shotgun:

True, not to talk about the disk autokilling nearly everything when shooting. The shootgun actually is very handy and the marine player rarely do both actions on the same turn.

Fumble/Power Shot:

Agree

Climbing Claws:

Agree

Hot Plasma:

agree

Mission Tiles:

:lol:

Alien Trophy:

Right now following the rules you have to pick the token run to an air vent and come back, 3 action points.

I sugess just spending an interac accion in a room with an air vent, this way it would be 2 actions and big aliens would be able to infest people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:18 pm 

harec wrote:
Marine special actions:
This one has been adress is a move and sentry 2 points action. Witch means the marine can choose either to move or attack as reaction to the enemy.

I am merely highlighting "dark spots" in the rulebook, so that JD can compose the FAQ. The answers to the FAQ, once it is composed, I believe will come from whoever will be in charge of game rules design.

harec wrote:
I dont get your point, But gun placement still doesn't have a rule as far as I know ;)

My point is that Vocal Mimicry/Gun Emplacement does not specify that you may use "Pass" action. While easy to guess, it should be written. That is why we are making the FAQ :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:54 pm 

Its always funny when you read something and you *assume* its common knowledge and then when you talk with others and its apparent that others read it ENTIRELY different...

I have always assumed that if you've done you RS or CC action and you dont feel like moving... PASS is a given...

If Im strategically waiting for other figs to move into place and i dont feel like doing anything, I can ALWAYS pass.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:02 pm 

Is there a Date for the FAQ??

And, maybe we will become a Index for the RuleBook?
So many times i search for something... a Word-Index is great!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:59 am 

An other suggestion:

Tile occupation
The rule says: every tile has 8 occupation points.
Correction: Dead Ends and Predator Pod should have only 4 occupation points. Becasue no more 30mm based model can have enough space on them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:31 pm 

Xerxesz wrote:
An other suggestion:

Tile occupation
The rule says: every tile has 8 occupation points.
Correction: Dead Ends and Predator Pod should have only 4 occupation points. Becasue no more 30mm based model can have enough space on them.

I agree. This is how I place those tiles, since theyre roughly half the size of a regular tile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:55 pm 

How do you guys use the 'Weld It Shut!' extended action?
Rule says: Any Marine model of Troop Type can spend 2 actions to remove 1 Air Vent Tile from play permanently. The Air vent Tile must be adjacent to the Tile occupied by a model using this action.

My questions:
- 2 actions or 2 action points?
- Using this action once removes the whole air vent tile? You know an air vent tile has 2 ends... In my opinion 1 weld-it-shut action seals only one end of the air vent tile so a Facehugger can escape from it through the other end. And an other Marine is needed in order to weld the other end of the air vent, am I right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:22 pm 

Xerxesz wrote:
How do you guys use the 'Weld It Shut!' extended action?
Rule says: [i]

My questions:
- 2 actions or 2 action points?
- Using this action once removes the whole air vent tile? You know an air vent tile has 2 ends... In my opinion 1 weld-it-shut action seals only one end of the air vent tile so a Facehugger can escape from it through the other end. And an other Marine is needed in order to weld the other end of the air vent, am I right?

It would of course be logical that you would have to seal both ends. But as far I understand and read the rules, it says that you need to use your 2 actions points to seal it. Same like you use 2 points to run and do the same action.
So you can't move and seal. Have to use both points.
Only tiny models like Facehuggers can end their move on an air vent tile. It it gets sealed, the model is lost.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 am 

OK, then an other suggestion:

'Weld It Shut!' extended action
Correction: Any Marine model of Troop Type can spend 2 ACTION POINTS to remove 1 Air Vent Tile from play permanently (you don't have to seal both ends of the air vent tile).