It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: OFFICIAL FAQ
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:09 pm 

Ladies and gents,

I've been tapped to head up the FAQ team. I know a few of you have made FAQ sheets and we'll definitely be bringing those questions over here. Its my hope that we can make a concise list thats only a few pages long so we arent inundated with a ton of questions that becomes its own codex. Feel free to place your questions in here as well.

Q: Can you throw a Smart-Disc through a locked door?
A: According to the rules (page 30 in the EN Rules) the Smart-Disc can be thrown to a tile without LoS and it cuts easily through most materials, so my best guess is you should allow throwing the disc through doors if you want to follow the rules. Of course this can be subject of house rules - personally I think the heavy-duty bulkheads should withstand anything but high-power explosives and Aliens concentrated attacks, so no disc going through them*
*if the disc would cut through reinforced materials so easy, it would also cut the walls around you and you are in space.

*** I feel this isnt in the spirit of the theme... it doesnt cut through doors, perhaps a clarification should be made.

Q: If two cards contradict each others effect, which one has priority? E.g. Gravity Fluctuations (maximum move of 1 tile) and Monstrous Endurance (Predator may move 1 additional tile)
A: I don't see the conflict here: Gravity Fluctuations caps the maximum number of tiles you can move any model. Monstrous Endurance gives you additional movement, but it is still subject of the maximum number of tiles you can move the Model, so even if it's allowed to move one additional tile, the maximum he can move is still one, so the card would be wasted. At least this is my interpretation based on the number of board, card and miniature games I've played.

*** I would suggest the enviornment card take precedence. Since it affects all factions.

Q: Mission objectives, should they be known by each player?
A: We had a situation where the alien player had to pick up a downed predator (as a token carry obj) but the pred player kept picking up his downed pred buddy and dragging it with him as he moved. The suggestion is objectives be known only to the faction. Otherwise actions that wouldnt be taken normally come into play.

***Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:45 pm 

With regards to this...
"Q: Mission objectives, should they be known by each player?
A: We had a situation where the alien player had to pick up a downed predator (as a token carry obj) but the pred player kept picking up his downed pred buddy and dragging it with him as he moved. The suggestion is objectives be known only to the faction. Otherwise actions that wouldnt be taken normally come into play."

Don't the missions in the board game explicitly say the aliens get a special action to take a token/trophy from a downed predator / marine model. In this scenario the predator would not be able to take the trophy with them as they don't have that as an available action.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:34 pm 

mariettabrit wrote:
With regards to this...

Don't the missions in the board game explicitly say the aliens get a special action to take a token/trophy from a downed predator / marine model. In this scenario the predator would not be able to take the trophy with them as they don't have that as an available action.

Correct, but since that body is a "Token-to-be"... it's a valid object to use an action on...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:37 pm 

Another disparity I've found is the disengaging from an engaged tile... I think its detrimental to the Aliens in that its a bit too easy.

Suggestion: Make the difficulty a +1 for every opponent on the tile... So the CC test becomes a bit more intense...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:40 pm 

Here you have the suggestions I made Julian ;)

harec wrote:
Trophy collection in air vents, In order to put a trophy token into an air vent the alien must perform an interact action(2 act. pts) into a room with nearby air vents to put the token inside the air vent.
(With the original one the alien must run into and outside the air vent so warriors and bigger aliens are useless)

Heroic disengage (2 act pts), If a marine is trap in a tile with an air vent, He/she can spend 2 action points and successfully pass a CC test in order to cross the air vent to the tile on the other side. This action can only be made to go through an air vent.

Facehugg (Extended), When facehugger attack a marine hero(marine with 40mm base) The reinforce is going to be a warrior. As well when attacking a power loader, the powerloader gains +5 to constitution to resist the hug, If it fails the alien force gain an infant warrior.

Guns placement (Extended) sentry guns do not count as an enemy miniature when determine If a tile is engage. So predator or alien miniatures can free disengage when there is just a sentry gun.

Exploration (Invented as we don't have any) sentry guns can be placed up to 2 tiles from the marine deploiment tile.

harec wrote:
I have already have a lot game session, including advance rules with point cost and there is one thing I would like to discuss with you guys.

It is specially pain for the alien force, but it affects as well the other forces witch is point distribution.

Lets make an example:

---------------------------M-CC-RS-St-Con-LD-W-A-----------Weapon-Type-St-RoA-AVV--point cost
Alien infant warrior----1--15--0--10--10-19-1-13--------------claws--cc---10--2----0--------12
Alien warrior------------1--17--0--13--13-19-2-15(12)---------claws--cc---16--4----2--------22
Pretorian----------------1--17--0--13--13-19-3-15(12)---------claws--cc---16--4----2-------100

So one wound more cost aparently 78 points

There are many other examples of this everywere, like marine vs weyland yutani comando, seriously 3,5 marines per WYC is a lot of marines. Or young bloods vs hunter predator

And I am not including heroes because is even worst.

I think it is specialy painfull in the alien force because I hardly see anybody taking a queen or predalien in their force, and we have the miniatures for a reason.

What do you guys think we should do?, Maybe a warzone fan can give us some ideas, as probably this issue has to do with fox censorsip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:13 pm 

Hi.

I will be back on this topic and try to contribute as much as possible. I will note a few things that, in my opinion, need to be changed.

1. First and foremost, the wording on SENTRY. It is very confusing. I will suggest text, bottom line being that "SENTRY" be moved to "EXTENDED" actions and USE OF TOKEN be a trigger for either move/shoot/WAAAGH.
2. Sentry Token. Needs a clarification on certain situations. For instance, can I choose to NOT USE THE TOKEN and let it be "wasted" in cases where I cannot SHOOT anyone or ATTACK any1, or I HAVE to do something and thus MOVE as it is the only viable option? Also, if I perform a TACTICAL ADVANCE, then can I expend the token to MOVE, since it is not a "MOVE/RUN ACTION"?
3. Smart Disk. Too smart for my liking. Needs a major tone down. Insta-kill is not funny.
4. Cards.
4.1. They absolutely totaly positively MUST help players understand when they can play the cards. Also, there needs to be a "Action or Pass" option in turn order for all players, else you get "I play IMBA on your Pred...- NO JOE, I play NURFSTICK on that Predator so haha".
4.2. Need to categorize into "Usual" and "Conditional" (you pick names), so that a player knows for sure when he can play one or another (i.e. "Play WHEN you pew pew" should read "CONDITIONAL" as keyword). I did not have trouble with this, however I am quite adept in the use of English. Not everyone is, and a visual reminder helps. Like other card games where the cards read "Action" or "Reaction"-like keywords.
5. Alien popcorn. Seriously? I fail the roll of save, I blow up, AlienJoe gets acid slime? Seen a chain reaction too many times for my liking, from 1 bullet of 1 marine. Supposedly Alien carapace offers protection from that acid (AvP 1). At least change the STRENGTH of the hit when it hits aliens into something more "playable".

So, that is it for now. Too much work to be done outside AvP universe, this was a "oh I remember this thing" brainstorm. Might have made mistakes. I will re-read any faqs so far and the rules and bring forth more fruitfull things/suggestions.

Back at ya during the weekend.
Konstantinos - Crusader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:35 pm 

These were suggestions from Phil Matt ~

Facehuggers and Predaliens can both create new Aliens. The facehug rule is a bit more specific than the Predalien's. I would assume they are essentially the same. Main issue, it says the new Alien cam only be placed on an unengaged tile. Can it be placed to make the tile engaged? Spirit of the rules, I'd say no. But wording would allow it.

Also, when it comes to fixing points cost, I would suggest putting regular USMC at 25 points, a squad would be 125, one guy would be equal to 5 face Facehuggers. And you can get a few infants and stalkers to make it even-ish. I am not sure how that would compare to a WY commando, which for only 10 points more get a few nice upgrades, but maybe they are a bit cheap at 35 (especially considering they can get 3 smart guns)
The Predators might still be too cheap at 65...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:41 pm 

Yo, I continue :)

Please bare in mind that not all these are FAQs and may need to be moved to the other Thread where "New Rule Suggestions" are the name of the game.

Alien special actions:
They seem pretty useless, at least in most of the scenarios. An alien would benefit from -4 if standing on infested, -10 if hiding on infested. From hide, it can only expend 2 action points to make a one-tile-move and stay hidden, or lose it and act normaly. I suggest giving the option to "hide" even outside the infested tiles, with a penalty of -4 or -6. Flamers autohit, Smart Disc autohits, Smartgun has a re-roll... It just hurts simple guns and plasmas.

Predator special actions:
Expend two action points for a 50-50? I've hardly seen this getting used. Even the "close door" marine action needs a 12 to happen (60-40). I suggest buffing it up, and change accordingly the relevant Predator card.

Marine special actions:
Tactical Advance needs a clarification. Is it a MOVE action? in the rulebook it says that there are only two move actions, "Move" and "Run". So, I can move my marine 1 tile and then sentry him on a seccond tile.

Vocal Mimicry/Gun Emplacement:
... And Pass... Why not Pass... Why only move and run... if I move (GE shoot) what do I do with the seccond action point...?

Interact action:
Unlike other actions, Interact should be used multiple times. Imagine the Aliens trying to damage rooms, and they need 4 tokens. Like, you need 8 aliens in the room to do it in one turn with that 50-50 chance. Or need to have 8 turns with 1 alien... Why can't you give an extra action to a model, Interract a door, move in, Interract the room? With "Interract" needing you to be unengaged, things get even harder

Shooting from/through engaged tiles:
1stly, clarify that your own engaged tile gives you a penalty to shoot outside it. 2ndly, that -2 is a joke and needs boosting, at least for the first tile (like -4 and extra -2 for each engaged beyond 1st), if not deleting altogether.
I mean, seriously fellas, I often see 5 marines on one tile engaged with 3 aliens, dodging off wounds with them sucky statistics the aliens have, saying "oh, what the hell, i'll just shoot the others on 60-40 hit chance, no pressure"... A Marine shooting out of combat has a 60% chance to hit, and a 45% chance of that to kill an Infant. The infant has a 55% CC hit chance and then a 35% chance to kill (even less if you count heal...). WTF?
Realisticaly, you gotta shoot the big bad wolf amonst you.

Close Combat/Shooting:
On engaged tiles occupied by two factions other than your own, the game needs to clarify how you split your "RoA". Do you pick one side and roll or RoA or say "These 2 dice go Alien and these 2 dice go Predator"? The seccond is my way, but the rulebook says nothing.

Smart Disc/Shotgun:
You can effectively shoot and cc with these weapons on the same turn. WTF? The Marine Sergeant will effectively shoot 3 engaged and X other models, where X is any number between 1 and 16... So like 4 to 19... WTF? Smart Dist for 3+2+2? With a strength 15/autokill? WTF?

Fumble/Power Shot:
Has to only apply to ACTION TEST ROLLS. Shooting TEST, Close Combat TEST. This cannot apply to "Smart Disc: Throw" for example. That is not a test, it is a "Roll two dice" (a.k.a. mechanic)

Climbing Claws:
"Fully Occupied, Unengaged". Like "If you are an Idiot or play Target Practice for Flamers/Shotguns and Other Goodies, now you can add ACROBATICS to the show". The only way to see a "FOU" tile is if you play a million points and don't give a care. I suggest that the Stalkers be able to move above EVEN ENGAGED tiles.

Hot Plasma:
Specify that the "offencive re-rolls" occur when using any weapon with "Plasma" on it's name, and not a Model. The "Hot Plasma" is written on the model both on the card and on the rulebook...

Mission Tiles:
Some missions include MORE infested tiles than are supplied in the box. Lel

Alien Trophy:
You need to pick up a token and then deliver it to vents. Eh... "Excuse me sir, have you heard of our lord and saviour Explainisus". How on Khorne's Throne does one "Deliver". Do I have to stay on a room next to a vent and use another Interract? Do I have to declare a move/run that includes the vent and then it autostays in?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:30 pm 

Chronomancer wrote:
Yo, I continue :)

Please bare in mind that not all these are FAQs and may need to be moved to the other Thread where "New Rule Suggestions" are the name of the game.

Alien special actions:
They seem pretty useless, at least in most of the scenarios. An alien would benefit from -4 if standing on infested, -10 if hiding on infested. From hide, it can only expend 2 action points to make a one-tile-move and stay hidden, or lose it and act normaly. I suggest giving the option to "hide" even outside the infested tiles, with a penalty of -4 or -6. Flamers autohit, Smart Disc autohits, Smartgun has a re-roll... It just hurts simple guns and plasmas.

Predator special actions:
Expend two action points for a 50-50? I've hardly seen this getting used. Even the "close door" marine action needs a 12 to happen (60-40). I suggest buffing it up, and change accordingly the relevant Predator card.

Marine special actions:
Tactical Advance needs a clarification. Is it a MOVE action? in the rulebook it says that there are only two move actions, "Move" and "Run". So, I can move my marine 1 tile and then sentry him on a seccond tile.

Vocal Mimicry/Gun Emplacement:
... And Pass... Why not Pass... Why only move and run... if I move (GE shoot) what do I do with the seccond action point...?

Interact action:
Unlike other actions, Interact should be used multiple times. Imagine the Aliens trying to damage rooms, and they need 4 tokens. Like, you need 8 aliens in the room to do it in one turn with that 50-50 chance. Or need to have 8 turns with 1 alien... Why can't you give an extra action to a model, Interract a door, move in, Interract the room? With "Interract" needing you to be unengaged, things get even harder

Shooting from/through engaged tiles:
1stly, clarify that your own engaged tile gives you a penalty to shoot outside it. 2ndly, that -2 is a joke and needs boosting, at least for the first tile (like -4 and extra -2 for each engaged beyond 1st), if not deleting altogether.
I mean, seriously fellas, I often see 5 marines on one tile engaged with 3 aliens, dodging off wounds with them sucky statistics the aliens have, saying "oh, what the hell, i'll just shoot the others on 60-40 hit chance, no pressure"... A Marine shooting out of combat has a 60% chance to hit, and a 45% chance of that to kill an Infant. The infant has a 55% CC hit chance and then a 35% chance to kill (even less if you count heal...). WTF?
Realisticaly, you gotta shoot the big bad wolf amonst you.

Close Combat/Shooting:
On engaged tiles occupied by two factions other than your own, the game needs to clarify how you split your "RoA". Do you pick one side and roll or RoA or say "These 2 dice go Alien and these 2 dice go Predator"? The seccond is my way, but the rulebook says nothing.

Smart Disc/Shotgun:
You can effectively shoot and cc with these weapons on the same turn. WTF? The Marine Sergeant will effectively shoot 3 engaged and X other models, where X is any number between 1 and 16... So like 4 to 19... WTF? Smart Dist for 3+2+2? With a strength 15/autokill? WTF?

Fumble/Power Shot:
Has to only apply to ACTION TEST ROLLS. Shooting TEST, Close Combat TEST. This cannot apply to "Smart Disc: Throw" for example. That is not a test, it is a "Roll two dice" (a.k.a. mechanic)

Climbing Claws:
"Fully Occupied, Unengaged". Like "If you are an Idiot or play Target Practice for Flamers/Shotguns and Other Goodies, now you can add ACROBATICS to the show". The only way to see a "FOU" tile is if you play a million points and don't give a care. I suggest that the Stalkers be able to move above EVEN ENGAGED tiles.

Hot Plasma:
Specify that the "offencive re-rolls" occur when using any weapon with "Plasma" on it's name, and not a Model. The "Hot Plasma" is written on the model both on the card and on the rulebook...

Mission Tiles:
Some missions include MORE infested tiles than are supplied in the box. Lel

Alien Trophy:
You need to pick up a token and then deliver it to vents. Eh... "Excuse me sir, have you heard of our lord and saviour Explainisus". How on Khorne's Throne does one "Deliver". Do I have to stay on a room next to a vent and use another Interract? Do I have to declare a move/run that includes the vent and then it autostays in?

Climbing Claws:
I agree, this is a cool power/skill... but largely useless, I've never seen it in practice...

Fumble/Power Shot:
I agree... I dont believe these apply in the smart disc special attack.

Close Combat/Shooting:
I do the same thing you do... I think ultimately, so long as the players agree, whatever works doesnt necessarily needs a rules call on it...

Alien Trophy:
I always assumed delivered meant, "get to the vent and spend an action to stuff em in."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:51 pm 

CrusaderJD wrote:

Alien Trophy:
I always assumed delivered meant, "get to the vent and spend an action to stuff em in."

That is how we have played it, too.

1 action to make the trophy (cocoon the victim),
* walk/run to vent,
1 action to stuff them in the vent (glue in place).

Interestingly enough there is not a maximum number of trophies per vent tile.