It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:56 am 

hey folks, while playing yesterday a few rule questions came up and I wanted to ask if you can clarify them to me:

The Alien Warrior:
He has a ranged skill action "acid spit." The rule is saying that for every enemy model on that tile you have to roll a RS test. If succeded that model gets a ST 16 (normal warriors "main weapon" attack) damage. Question now is; as the warrior has a ROT 4, does that mean you can reroll the RS tests for spitting? Theoretically I´d say yes, but seems unrealistic and a bit too powerful attack for my taste. Yesterday one warrior easily cleaned out 4 marines with one attack only...

Sentry auto guns:
Not much to find in the rulebook about those. In mission 9.5 the rule say that any marine model can spend one action point to put up a sentry guns. (actually I think 2 points would be better because a action like this surely would take more time. But can do this with house rules :) )
When playing yesterday I was using sentry guns and the aliens got serious problems.
-So, can really any marine put up the sentry guns?
-Is these a rule for how many can be in the game at once?
-Can one marine put up several /after one sentry guns is destroyed can you just put up a new one?
I think the number of sentry guns should be limited to maximum 4 per game and should not be able to put up new ones after one is destroyed. They are way too strong.
-The sentry guns have the skill auto sentry. So that means they are always in sentry mode. Makes sense. The ROT is 4. That means they can reroll the RS skill 4 times on a model that walks into LOS. That´s clear.
But after the sentry guns have shot, will they still be active and in sentry or get deactivated like other models which used up their action points.
I mean, after shooting one model, will they be able to keep shooting if another enemy model walks into LOS or be deactivated and have to wait for next game turn? If you keep using them (which would be realistic and movie accurate) they are way too powerful and blow away most everything that comes around the corner. Especially with their ROT4...

And one more general thing; the roles say that a rolling a 20 on a RS test is a fumble and the model can´t do anything else in this game turn. Rolling a 1 is a headshot and the model can´t do any armor test anymore but directly takes damage. Does taht mean a model with seral wounds only looses 1 wound or is taken out of the game? Just loose 1 wound I presume?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:46 am 

Sentry auto guns:
Not much to find in the rulebook about those. In mission 9.5 the rule say that any marine model can spend one action point to put up a sentry guns.

The texte says page 46 : Any Marine Model can spend an Interact Action to lay down a Mission Token (Sentry Turret) in any of the four Tiles shown on the map. Mission Tokens may only be placed on the Tile occupied by the Model performing an Interact Action. Once three of four Tokens are placed on designated Tiles, the Mission is complete.

-So, can really any marine put up the sentry guns?
No, in this mission, Marines can put a Mission Token. Indeed, this Mission Tokens are Sentry Turrets but only for the fluff. In therm of rules, this Tokens are Tokens and nothing else…

-Is these a rule for how many can be in the game at once?
Once three of four Tokens are placed on designated Tiles, the Mission is complete.

-The sentry guns have the skill auto sentry. So that means they are always in sentry mode. Makes sense. The ROT is 4. That means they can reroll the RS skill 4 times on a model that walks into LOS. That´s clear.
But after the sentry guns have shot, will they still be active and in sentry or get deactivated like other models which used up their action points.
I mean, after shooting one model, will they be able to keep shooting if another enemy model walks into LOS or be deactivated and have to wait for next game turn? If you keep using them (which would be realistic and movie accurate) they are way too powerful and blow away most everything that comes around the corner. Especially with their ROT4...

The rulebook says page 23
Actions are divided into two Groups — Basic or Extended — and each Action can only be used once by a Model in a Game Turn, unless specified otherwise.

Sentry Action (A) […] The following Basic Actions may be used during a Sentry Action: Shooting, Close Combat and Move.

That means that you cannot do a sentry shooting action and a shooting action. It is also true for sentry close combat action/classic close combat action and sentry move action/move action.
Finally, you can ‘Pass’ with a sentry token if you have moved the model before the sentry token activation and there is no target for shooting or close combat action.

The Alien Warrior:
He has a ranged skill action "acid spit." The rule is saying that for every enemy model on that tile you have to roll a RS test. If succeded that model gets a ST 16 (normal warriors "main weapon" attack) damage. Question now is; as the warrior has a ROT 4, does that mean you can reroll the RS tests for spitting? Theoretically I´d say yes, but seems unrealistic and a bit too powerful attack for my taste. Yesterday one warrior easily cleaned out 4 marines with one attack only...

Page 32
Acid Spit (A) – When using Acid Spit (A), choose the Target Tile adjacent to the Tile occupied by the Model making the attack. For every enemy Model on the targeted Tile, take an RS test. If successful, then the targeted Model receives a hit with the Weapon’s St and AVV. Acid Spit (A) counts as a Shooting Action.

That means RoA is ignored when using Acid Spit (A) Action

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:29 am 

After posting I also found something that only the powerloader can be used to actually put up sentry guns. In that misson 9.5 makes sense that you only set up sentry gun tokens with the marine models, not actual sentry guns? So this was mission specific.

If you actually want to set up sentry guns in any game, you will need the powerloader. But still unsure how many sentry guns he would be able to put up in a game. Only one, unlimited?

So if I understand correctly the sentry gun would act like a normal model. They are always in sentry mode (don´t have to extra put them in sentry) and will be able to RS, CC or move like stated in the using sentry actions rules. With a fixed sentry gun CC and move make no sense of course anyways.
After it would have used it´s sentry action (RS shoot) it would be deactivated and can not be used again if some other alien would walk into LOS? So can only use it once per turn?
It has ROA4. means 4 times can try to roll a RS test for shooting. If I would want to make "more use" of the sentry gun, might I also wait till several aliens would be in LOS and can shoot several models? As I read if you have several ROA attacks, you could shoot/close combat several models (reroll tests for one or, if killed, use the rest attacks on other models?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:59 pm 

Hey. Let me add to the Warrior's spit: There is an example in the book that calculates the autohits at strength 12 (-2 modifier). So I guess the statline for the weapon is missing, but should be read like:
ST - 12, ROA - 1, AVV - 0
*Make a ranged attack against each enemy model on one adjacent tile. Roll separately.