It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Sergeant's Weapons
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:19 am 

Im also hoping to use the minis for an Alien univers RPG, amongst many other things, so have a range of reasons to have a few minis with pistols. Such as for smartgunners who run dry, for officers, for crew/admin personel. etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:56 pm 

Strawhat wrote:
Well, armor piercing rounds may not be the best idea in ship interiors...hull breaches suck.

If you need a little more than harsh language, it's best to use your sidearm.

Other than that it would largely be special circumstances (like when you're facing limited ammo supplies, or find yourself under a cooling tower).

I would think using frangible rounds in the rifle would be a lot better than limiting yourself to a pistol. If short on ammo, a more accurate weapon with a longer effective range is going to be a better use of the limited ammo too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:45 pm 

Viper6 wrote:
Strawhat wrote:
Well, armor piercing rounds may not be the best idea in ship interiors...hull breaches suck.

If you need a little more than harsh language, it's best to use your sidearm.

Other than that it would largely be special circumstances (like when you're facing limited ammo supplies, or find yourself under a cooling tower).

I would think using frangible rounds in the rifle would be a lot better than limiting yourself to a pistol. If short on ammo, a more accurate weapon with a longer effective range is going to be a better use of the limited ammo too.

In ship/colony/station board engaguements how often do you think you'll be outside the effective range of a pistol from your target? Really in that situation an smg, pistol or shotgun is probably a better choice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:06 pm 

Often enough.

Heck, look at some of the layouts Prodos has shown for this board game, anything across more than one tile is going to be a long shot with a pistol, and shotguns don't give you the point accuracy at distance a good carbine/short rifle does.

Pistols and shotguns notoriously have small ammo capacity, which means less range and more time spent reloading.

There is a reason we train today to clear rooms/buildings/urban areas with rifles/carbines and not pistols. Shotguns are used for breaching, and the first guys through have an M4 or similar weapon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:26 am 

I'm not going to get into a debate about tactics and hardware because, frankly, I'm ill-equipped for such a thing.

So I can only point back to Aliens and say, "but that's the way they did it." I'm OK with the situations being unrealistic (to a point) so long as it's appropriate to the setting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 pm 

It's not yet been released, thus it's subject to change, the pistol is a good idea!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:12 pm 

Jarek as its not been released yet whats chance of the torch cutter being added only a small thing and the Smart guns computer.
Cheers all Great to be back.