It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Drop ship and apc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:09 pm 

I have the Halycon ship and its 1/72 which is 20mm scale. It's quite a bit smaller than the standard 28-30mm scale which is 1/48.

My understanding is that this is the version that got approved. The main difference is the cockpit shape. That could be easily modded. I'll write Prodos and see if they could offer a different cockpit shape.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:42 pm 

I concur, had the halcyon model and it would be a little small. I do however have a cock on scale APC but it's not an 'official' model so I'll mention no more on here. I'm pretty handy at throwing stuff together so sometime in the future when I have more time I might be tempted to scratchbuild a more classic looking dropship for he APC to sit inside. Until then the Prodos model will make an good 'variant' Stand in. I can use it as an objective in the boardgame, a little eye candy for spawn points or whatever, looking forward to the tabletop rules but it would even make a half decent slingshot fighter bomber for my starship trooper games too!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:21 am 

I'm not going to weigh in on the looks and aesthetic of the model. This strikes me as a model like a Forge World Titan (or Thunderhawk or that massive Tau flyer) or Spartan Games' 10mm and 28mm Planetary gunship

the "little one" is 210mm x380mm x85mm; the big one is 340mm x570mm 130mm.

Stuff like this is a spectacle, a showpiece and or terrain. It will sit there and look pretty far more than it will ever be used (I should know I have 2 Reaver Titans and 4 Knight Titans on the shelves, and you could probably add the Gigamek to that list). If you really want to use it in a game, just make up some rules. Odds are on that it will be for a special scenario or a stupidly big game, in either case balance isn't a huge issue meaning no rules is a non-issue.

It is a collectors piece, atleast for now. So if you like it and have the money to burn why not get it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:41 am 

I totally agree, there is nothing I like more than a little battlefield bling, and if you can't afford to buy it....practice your Blue Peter Jitsu and make it out of cardboard :)

http://www.tanksandtrolls.co.uk/40KTitan%20company.htm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:05 am 

So is this style drop ship from the comics then? I just thought it was a given that it would be the same as from the movie but this looks more like something out of 40k. hope the apc is as per the movie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:02 am 

I've got to admit that I do not care for it. I would prefer something much closer to what was in the movie. I had high hopes, but things went a different direction.

If the APC comes out in such an exaggerated style I will pass on that as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:00 am 

Yes, considering the size and the price the Prodos model is awesome. I also just find it not close enough to the movie and hoping that the APC will be more close

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:06 am 

Well, I know one item I will NOT be buying.

It looks almost steampunk in its presentation and feels a lot more cartoon-like than something that's a viable piece of military hardware. There's nothing that says "power" or "danger" to it. Nothing more than the outline even makes me think of the movie's version.

Honestly?

I hate it. If the APC has the same style, I'll just buy tiles and models off of eBay and eat the inflated cost of doing it that way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:26 pm 

They have taken on board the feedback and are looking again at the model. I'm not saying it'll be changed but they should be given a chance to investigate if it will be changed. Just to note that no matter what they do it won't be 100% accurate for everyone especially with the additional effort of trying to get the APC to fit in there too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:51 am 

whampiri wrote:
They have taken on board the feedback and are looking again at the model. I'm not saying it'll be changed but they should be given a chance to investigate if it will be changed. Just to note that no matter what they do it won't be 100% accurate for everyone especially with the additional effort of trying to get the APC to fit in there too.

I thought the Dropship was already done and available to buy? How caould they still "look into the model." Too late for changes I believe