It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:13 pm 

Hi guys,

While I understand that the board game is the primary focus of the Kickstarter, it's obvious that a certain iconic model won't do so well moving through the ship/boardgame, She may not even have rules.

For this reason, I am seriously focusing on the Wargame aspect of this. I think that the Battle Systems terrain Kick Starter couldn't be more suited to this force, as it replicates very well the type of places that Aliens would infest. It also does't have to be an outpost, it could act as space station, anything.

So, my big question is;

For the board game, what scale should we be looking at? Are we playing 4x4 for a standard "box" game for 15-20 Aliens and 3-4 Predators? If we scale up to 50+ aliens including the bit ones and an even amount of Predators are we going to want to go 6x4 on the board? Where is the "sweet spot" so to speak? I'm wanting to make sure I have both the appropriate "play area" and model count for the type of games my Little Brother and I want to play, and after seeing the AI mechanics for the aliens in the board game, I could see us making our own AI for the "computer controlled" aliens for the Wargame.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:59 pm 

I would imagine game scale is going to be one of those things which is really hard to ballance just right, and will require the game to be completed and playtested no end before you can get a solid answer.

I would imagine the Preds have a big advantage on a larger terrain cluttered board (easier to pick off individual targets and not get swamped), Xenos have a big advantage on smaller terrain cluttered boards, and marines do best on large open boards (with long lines of sight).
But that is little more than a gut reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:36 pm 

Speaking of the Battle Systems terrain, how will you deal with big models like the Praetorian, Crusher and Queen when it comes to the tiny doorways?

I plan on houseruling in a "destroy wall" action for larger models if no such rule exists, essentially giving it twice as much health as a uscm barricade. Let's make our own door!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:21 am 

That´s a very good idea Kalawaki. I thought about something similiar may be also reduced speed for models where the base is to large for the corridors etc.

So for your question Paul. I think it really depends on if you want a complete station to play on or if you also use open areas with forrests etc. i personnally got the sweet spot 2 times. With this i can build up a 80x80cm playground with option to create towers. I think this a nice set up. One can also use the board tiles of AvP as a tunnelsystem between station and a tower for example.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:32 am 

For the tabletop game the table will more than likely start off at 4 x 4ft for small games and scale up to a 4 x 6ft for larger ones. This is how it is done in Warzone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:55 pm 

At the open day, the Battle Systems terrain gave the Xenos a massive advantage. Lots of things to hide behind. Means they could avoid getting shot and swarm targets.

On the other hand, out in the open they got utterly butchered by Preds and Marines.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:24 pm 

Yeah, these are all balance issues. The Battle System Terrain wasn't supposed to be my be-all end-all solution, but for some scenario play it might be great.

In regards to larger models, you have to make some concession when the sytems are not specifically designed to work together. Just because the model doesn't fit doesn't mean it couldn't get through.

The question is more; "How does the core system deal with distance and deployment. What distance should we be looking at for a typical table?"

Other issues I have, is I seem to remember that aliens will tunnel on worlds without cover and go under-ground. They adapt to places that they can hide, so being in the wide open without good reason would be odd.

Oh well, I want to see the .pdf.

Paul