It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:24 am 

The title of this forum is Weyland Yutani.

Does that mean that the human faction is going to be Weyland Yutani paramilitary soldiers, or the Colonial Marines?

Because if it's the colonial marines (which is what I understand), then the faction should be USMC and not Weyland Yutani.

The two are not the same.

/Nit Pick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:30 am 

They are not the same... But the USCMC sometimes deployes under corporate juristiction, as government troops sometimes did with the East India Companies of old. In the game the human forces can include both a veriety of Colonial Marines and corprate assets, deployed as a single force.
It's also sounds better than having a 'Human' faction.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:27 am 

Indeed.

Mako, just think of the part where Burke and Gorman are trying to get Ripley to join for the trip to LV-426. Also, keep in mind that Wey-Yu supplies most -if not all- of the USCM weapons, armor, and equipment.

And we're not talking fan-fiction, games, comics, novels, or some other non-canon materials, either. Aliens makes it abundantly clear that Wey-Yu's calling the shots and the USCM are simply the guys pulling the triggers. Alien 3 even has a huge nod to the fact that the Company's reach and control are vast. No Marines showed up to capture the alien, only mercenaries. And the ship that brought them was a corporate-controlled warship under Company orders, investigating a military vessel's disappearance and distress beacon.

The USCM are nothing more than expendable assets and fall guys, should something go wrong. Keeps the Company looking good and the profits high, no matter the outcome of a mission. I think it's too neat of an idea to pass up, having the two "factions" work together just like in all of the various stories, with Weyland-Yutani pushing the professional sodliers trained on someone else's dollar out in front, while keeping the more expensive and corporate-funded mercenaries in the rear to seize opportunities as they arise, at the cost of Marine lives.

I believe this was the intended feel Prodos was going for and the idea they wanted to reinforce in the players' minds when they set up the forum and rules in this way, as it makes sense not only from a rules standpoint but lore-wise as well. These guys are just as big a bunch of nerds as the rest of us are and I'm excited to see how the Company and the Corps work together, especially if it's an alliance of convenience based on a mutual desire not to wind up as walking incubators or big game trophies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 am 

Yeah fair enough, I guess I'm just thinking about the times in cannon where the USCMC have actively been working against WY, namely something that happens in the games a lot (A:CM, or AVP2)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:00 am 

Still plenty of room for that. I very much intend to have a WY force and a CMC force, who shal only occasionally deploy together rather than as hostiles. But while the fluff is differnt the rules are the same.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:00 am 

I've been thinking about this thread a lot, lately. I've dusted off the old Leading Edge rulebook for the Aliens Adventure Game (or whatever 'hip-at-that-time' name they gave it) and pawed through for a couple hours before shelving it again.

There's a lot in there referencing the Marines as basically the police force of the galaxy, or at the very least, of the United Americas. Digging into the Colonial Marines Technical Manual that I ordered yet another copy of from Ebay (I find myself frequently wearing out the book), I put more links together and it does seem like there's a lot of potential for more team-ups and conflicts than have already been considered and discussed and/or turned into games/books/comics.

If one really digs a bit (and only just a bit, mind you) but puts forth the effort to connect dots where some were missing (erased by Wey-Yu?), one can find a wealth of untapped potential for the "Meta-Faction," as I'm starting to think of it. The USCMC is a military branch of the UNited Americas, right? What about the other parts of the world? Some other armed forces are mentioned, but only briefly. In those connections, made purely through anecdote, one can clearly see Wey-Yu involvement. Seeing as the Company is the single largest corporation known to man (debatable, but let's humor their propaganda department), it stands to reason that they may very well be supplying the terrorists and various other enemies of the Corps that the Colonial Marines were put together to fight.

Perhaps, this is something that could be tapped into, at some point. With permission from FOX, of course. How often to the Predators and Aliens get messed with and ret-conned and rebooted and generally abused for the sake of producing a more interesting adversary and fleshing out the old ones. What about a more interesting human element? We've already seen concepts and working ideas presented in numerous mediums. What would it take to flesh out the "home team" and see some of that brilliant story and character-building put to use within the ranks of Weyland-Yutani Corporation? Not much, I imagine.

Instead of wondering what makes sense, let's take a page from the comics, novels, games, and toy lines we all love so much and wonder what doesn't! I'm now looking forward to seeing what the rules (as well as the minis themselves) would allow for conversions of sniper units, motion-sensor networks, and fixed weapons emplacements. I mean, the Company has and MANUFACTURES the things, why not use them? Xenomorphs aren't nearly as scary when you pick them off at a over a kilometer with a precision weapon designed to pierce light vehicle armor, after all. And even a bunch of guys in a jungle without motion trackers snared a predator (briefly) so let's embrace the idea of the human factions being lumped together.

In my opinion, we're back on top of the food chain, baby! Let's rock, because if it bleeds, we can kill it!

Edited to stomp a few typos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:00 pm 

Gendasi wrote:
I've been thinking about this thread a lot, lately.

And I'm glad to have given you food for thought :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:59 pm 

Currently, it is considered the USMC are working alongside Weyland Yutani, that could change in the future, of course. :)