It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:21 am 

1. The Points per model:

As requested, here you have the points per model and army construction rules for the Advanced Board Game rules (please note Wargame points per model may vary [roughly +-10%] due to a different balancing system in place).

Advanced rules - Board Game models Points cost:

Advanced Board Game: minimum 250 points (500 pts recommended for 2-4h play)

Wargame: minimum 500 pts (1000 pts recommended for 2-4h play)

Aliens:

Max Squad Level (LVL): 4 (Hive Experience: Aliens always start the game at LVL1. For every 10 experience points gained, the Hive (every model) Level Up).

Squad Coherency: (1 Segment (Tile)) Max Squad: No restrictions (SEE Segment occupation rules)

Hive composition: Troop types – at least 50% of total Hive points, 0 – 50% Support, 1 - 2 HQ.

Troop Type: Facehuggers: 5 pts per model

Infant Warrior: 12 pts per model

Stalker: 15 pts per model

Support Type:

Alien Warriors: 22 pts per model

Alien Crusher: 175 pts

Royal Guard: 100 pts

HQ Type:

Royal Guard (with Hive Guard upgrade): 120 pts

Predalien: 175pts

Queen: 275 pts

Alien Warrior: (“Make your own Hero” rules – between 75 to 100 pts)

Example: A Squad can be constructed with: 3x Facehuggers, 2x Infant Warriors 3x Stalkers (in total 8 occupation points) or [as per Segment occupation rules]: 3x Facehuggers, 1 x Stalker, 2x Alien Warriors (4x models on Small bases + 2 models on Medium bases in total 8 Occupation points). Squads are defined during deployment, not during army construction.

Segment occupation Rules: depending on the base a model is on, each model takes up space on the game tile (Segment), the maximum occupation per tile is 8 points: -

- Models on Small bases (30mm ) takes 1 Occupation point

- Models on Medium Bases (40mm) takes 2 Occupation points

- Models on Large bases (50mm) takes 4 occupation points

- Models on bases larger 50mm takes 8 occupation points

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:31 pm 

Points wise does the Predalien appear its the AvP 2 Queen style Predalien or the game/comic Super Drone Predalien?
-Lumberjack1988

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:12 pm 

It seems that the Predalien is more in an AVPR style by being a HQ.

It can be an interresting background point that the genetic code of the Predator make that the predalien canont be a queen, but have other capability like we see in the AVPR movie. It can explain why predator prefer to set their bomb when they became infested (even if the youngblood Predator in the first AVP film don't do that because the writer are stupid) and they call them Abomination (in AVP 2010 video game).

About the royal guard I find interresting that he can be transform into hive guard.

I'm surprised that the Warriors are a support type. When they say there was a difference between them I have think they were troop like the infant and the stalker with some difference. In my mind it was Stalker fast but need of cover, Infant canon fodder with armor bonus for protecting warrior and Warrior no bonus but more damage. It seem that they prefer to make the warriors be some sort of shocktrooper. I find that strange, because lot of player want to make an army of warrior not infant and stalker for aesthetic reason. Personnaly the only problem I have with that is that with my KS pledge I have calculated to have one Squad of each type of unit. And I must by some other mini to have enough Infant and Stalker (and face-huggers even if I don't think they will be very interresting) to have each of my support choice activated.

The Warrior make your own hero can serve to make our own lead alien with is cool, but I hope there a "giant" option we can't make some sort of giant Aliens like the

I have no other comments about the list, she seems fine to me.

Bu I'm more interrested about they will include other unit (like the Spitter of ACM for exemple).
Because if there is too many unit in support or HQ type the players will always take only the more efficient HQ/Support unit and the army will lack of variety. It's what we see a lot in Warhammer 40K and I think it's a little bit sad.
(And for me Spitter are more a rare support unit that canon fodder but they can choose to use them un Troop to make a little more variety of them).

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:03 pm 

My only complain with this are the warriors not being troops as raycrest mention, It just doesn't make any sense.
It looks like I will have to use the warriors as drones or something.
I really don't understand it considering that the others factions can have elite troops(levels or the company unit for example) but if you are alien you must have over 40 drones-stalker to play a wargame map.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:57 pm 

Having the Warrior in 'support' does make the base list a bit top heavy when there are so many obvious additions, none of which would seem at home as 'core' troops without heavily handicapping them... especially since it also makes it impossible to field the xenomorph force from Aliens... you know... probably the primary inspiration for the game.

Here's hoping it's all part of some larger plan.

I suppose, given that warriors are on a different size base, you could always mount some on the smaller bases as "counts-as" infants or customise the infants.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:38 am 

I would wonder if there's a hive upgrade ("Established Colony", or some such) that would allow a warrior-heavy force. It seems like a logical extension to me, but that doesn't mean that's the way Prodos wants to proceed.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:06 pm 

That would be nice, but I still don't get it, If a drone cost 12 points and a hero cost 175 then what can they do?, either the hero is useless or the warriors can't simply join forces due to the fact that they are around 15 and there is no way the can work together.

Very very dificult to balance that is!

And warriors must be troops :evil:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:54 am 

Looking at it... it seems as though Prodos is attempting to even the playing field. Think about it, if you could take a warrior as a basic troop option, you could simple flood the field with a average infantry unit. An epic swam, one that couldn't possible be beat.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:23 am 

Jackal-0311 wrote:
Looking at it... it seems as though Prodos is attempting to even the playing field. Think about it, if you could take a warrior as a basic troop option, you could simple flood the field with a average infantry unit. An epic swam, one that couldn't possible be beat.

Just a thought.

But you CAN have a massive swarm, of stalkers or infants (both more expensive than a colonial marine). Trying to swarm with warriors (almost twice the cost of the infant) would produce a much smaller force, the loss of numbers presumably cancling out most of the comparative benefits of the warrior. By forcing at least 50% stalkers/infants you are forcing the xenoplayer to take a swarm of cheap troops (20 in a 500point game or 41 in the 1,000pt wargame), one can only presume they are there to be flame-thrower fodder.

You have the option of taking:
Hive Guard (leader) and 73 Infants, or even 176 face huggers (lol) which sounds pretty terrifying.
But not:
Hiveguard (leader) and 40 warriors.
(Not advocating a "1 troop type swarm", in any game which isn't fundamentally broken that will most likely get you horribly butchered, just making the point)

All that said, it will probably make sense once we have the full picture, mayhaps the Warriors have some particular ability which necessitates making them a limited resource. Untill then it's a head scratcher.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:01 pm 

If as Prodos say the alien is base on the swarm army concept, there is a lot of luck that it is more effective to have an army with a lot of the more cheap standard unit. For my experience, in Warhammer 40K (in the fourth edition if I remenber correctly), when they made the rules to create our own unit in a Tyrranid army, the most effective army needed to use the more cheaper hormagaunt version you can create to flood your ennemi under a lot of these creatures (and for the big creature (who are the equivalent of the HQ/support unit type in Prodos AVP) they must all have wing, but it's another matter).

So I think that they have made their army with the massive use of Infant and/or stalker in mind (and maybe a crazy horde of face hugger, it could be amusing (be deceiving too) that the most efficient alien army is a face huger horde ;) ). We don't know exactly how will work the marine army, but in this army marine and Weyland Yutani commando are troop. Or the WYC can be a more interresting unit to use that the CM. In that case a USCM player who want to play in a competitive way will take a lot of them and the alien army will always have a bigger number than the marine (and need to play a lot on this avantage). In the same way, maybe that a fully equip squad of 5 marine cost is higger than a squad of 5 stalker, and the alien can have the number avantage on a marine based army (even if it's a smaller benefit than in the case of the WYC).

For the warriors maybe they have special infiltrations rules (even if I think they have a Lurker alien waiting to be use with these type of rules) like the Genestealers in 40K (in that game if they can be placed somewere where the ennemy have no line of sight on them, they can be deployed here, these type of unit can be a real pain in the ass in the start of a battle) having to much of them can unbalance the game.

Sorry for all the 40K comparison, but it's the only game of that type I have played seriously years ago.