It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 am 

With the calculator out and the models getting ever closer to our eager hands, what are you all thinking of for bases? I've seen some nice resin bases and inserts around the place that are pretty cool, and have also been thinking about sculpting some hive textures from epoxy putty. I think a good base really makes the model something to admire, rather than just a playing piece.

So, how will you do yours?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:25 pm 

I've done both. The "Steel Invasion" and "Alien Invasion" series of bases look nice. I even re-based a Horrorclix queen that way. The rest of my bases are a combination of plastic screen for deck plating and green stuff for alien resin. When they are painted with the right washes, they look great. They are less expensive than purchasing the Steel or Alien invasions. I've sculpted alien eggs, dead facehuggers, and other interesting features. I would post pictures of them, but they are all either Copplestone, E4M, or Woodbine conversions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:14 pm 

I aim at using plasticard to give each base a flat tile look and will paint each faction as per the corresponding tile design :-D

Chuck in a few extra bits like scattered pulse rifles or acid blood damage for effect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37 pm 

After seeing Anpu's models in Ops Center and other threads, it's clear bases for me all the way. This game is my escape from GW games and I want simple and effective modeling solutions to get faster into gaming. Also, there are printed double-side board tiles and expansions coming, or Battle Systems Terrain, so I want to see them and have bases that fit every terrain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 am 

The steel plating for me. I think there are a couple of companies out there that make these bases.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:05 am 

I`m torn between my own made, or Anpu`s clear and dispite a lot of home made, the clear really do "rock" they fit any were. Darn you Anpu mate, 50 years of basing gone in a few great photos , the pain!.
Cheers all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:29 pm 

Glad to be of service ;) I will as you can guess be using clear bases. I tend to base all my sci fi and pulp minis that way. With fantasy minis though I prefer homemade ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:12 pm 

As an experiment I have rigged up an uplit base, a technique I intend to try with Queenie.

I took an old base from the bits box, cut the top off and replaced it with a piece of fine mesh (no idea where it came from but I have a few sheets) stripped the electronics from an old novelty gift and secured the LED and cell into the base beneath a red plastic filter.
It looks a little naff with the only minis I have available to test, but I figure it should look rather good paired with a glossy black killing machine.... And if it doesnt it'll become an objective marker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:10 pm 

I'd like to see the final result of the base when you take some pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30 am 

I second that , yes please "Spray".
Cheers all.