It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:04 am 

Comm/ops Centre scenery

In preparation for the game to ship. I decided to start building some scenery first up I wanted to build a Comm Centre type building....
it's going to be an L box on stilts with a radio/satellite tower on the roof so it's an unusual shape that can be small but is still interesting.

I also want to be able to use this in Deadzone so I need to keep the 3" cubes in mind.

Initial shapes cut and assembled started

Test fitting the 1st floor to the stilts

Dry fit of all the sides

Given the position of the large window and the actual ops room (that I want to have a glass door/ clear plasticard) I've moved the toilet/roof access cube to the opposite side of the building.

Stairs
I decided to go with stairs that you can place a model on rather than realistic ones. ( some of the steps work out as being about 2 foot apart at 28/30mm scale)
Here's the frame for the stairs I was initially going to have the stairs as just card but I've now decided to go for single tread embossed plasticard to add a bit more detail.

Stairs attached to the 1st floor

Now comes the slow and painful bit of detailing the interior. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:15 am 

Looking really good. Can't wait to see it all finished.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 am 

Really nice sir. Can you take the roof off during game play?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 pm 

Smart, nice to see the use of foam board. Great material for building and you`re showing the way to use it in style.
Cheers all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:39 pm 

Cheers guys.

@jackal - yep the roof will be removable and the first floor will be removable from the stilts and stairs as well.

I'll have an update with some of the interior details this weekend. I've been quite reluctant of doing the interiors for fear of messing up :oops:. But I need to get that done and painted. before I can finish assembling the 1st floor and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:20 pm 

Small update on the comm centre

I've done the basic floor I went for a panel look in the end. (I was going to get some sulaco floor grating but it just cost too much)

I've cut out 2 of the panels for me to get some wires/pipes added underneath for more depth. (And make the plain floor tiles less boring)

I've cut out the steps from some embossed plasticard, here's the step panels dry fitted.

Close up

And finally I've added the doors for "roof access" and the "toilet".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:01 pm 

Really nice so far ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:24 pm 

Stylish, I love the way you think of the practical (like the loo), when doing your original design. Makes a much more realistic build, even if Si/Fi. Well done Joe.
Cheers all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:00 pm 

Not as much done as I'd hoped this week (kidney infection has knocked me out for most of the week)

I Painted the toilet/roof access wall

I need to get a toilet sign printed and a sign printed with "roof access". But I'm happy with how it looks, the area before the actual ops room will be in this light grey colour. With the ops room being a dark grey.

I've also added detail to the emergency generator on the ground floor, and plastered the balsa stilts.( I would have left them plain but when I tested one the wood grain came through too much to count as steel girders)

Close up on the access hatch, just card embossed with a bic pen and plasticard handles.

Close up of the on off switch.

The square gap over the hatch will have one of those AK interactive headlights acting as a warning light/ generator is on or off light.

Other details

The gaps will be vents which I'll make and add after I've painted the rest of the generator (like the wire fences, and steps).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:15 pm 

Comm Centre update

Only a small one, the base colours are going down on the ground floor

I wanted the emergency generator to look like one of those CAT ones, still lots of painting and washing to do.

Slight problem, the gap between the generator and the fence is only just big enough for a 25mm base as I'm going to be using a lot of lipped bases in AVP and on minis I want to look extra pretty I'm going to have to extend the fenced area to the pillar by the stairs this should be easy it just means I have to drill 2 holes and add more fence posts.
(And the OCD reason is that there wouldn't be enough room for anyone to open the generator hatches to do maintenance :*) )

Bonus NukaCola Battlezone tile

I'm going to be using a lot of the Mantic battlezones stuff in my tabletop AVP games and want there to be some corporate logos hanging about.