It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Hunt Begins
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:33 pm 

Thanks to a good friend who travelled up to UK Games Expo last Friday and picked up our joint pledge (It was my wedding anniversary and in the middle of Potty training our 2 Yr old there was no way I was getting a pass!) I am one of the lucky 51.
I have spent the last week clearing my backlog of painting and now I can start on this:
Firstly I would like to say the wait has been worthwhile, the sculpts are fantastic, the level of detail is outstanding!
Stage 1
Wash and prep. As an aside I pre-ordered the bases from Fenris games what seems an age ago and i would urge you to invest in these as they are the perfect compliment to Prodos's sculpts.
To be continued....

Post subject: Re: The Hunt Begins
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:13 pm 

Step 2
Bases primed, I am going to drill pin holes then paint figures and bases separatelyImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:08 pm 

I am excited to see the finished puppies :!: . Although i am a bit jealous have a lot of fun :o !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:50 pm 

Awesome I cannot wait to see the model progress to finished stages!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:32 pm 

Started with prepping the Infant Alien Warriors today, minimal flash to remove, a few pieces on the tails. The main clean up was on either ends of the tails where the resin is poured into the molds, a craft knife and file made quick work of these, more laborious was the palms of the hands where resin had also entered the mold.
Using nail scissors, a craft knife and file I managed to get it looking passable luckily being the palms of the hands no-one
Should see!
The assembled 10
Now to pin them.......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:23 pm 

I have made some good progress on my Infant Alien Warriors this week.
First step was to pin them so I could attach them to my Fenris Sulacco bases.

Pinning was a bit of a pain as the legs are very thin and don't leave much room to affix the pin, the last thing I wanted to do is ruin these sculpts. Only a couple of stab wounds to the thumb and they were all pinned!

Next was the undercoating, recently my undercoat of choice has been Vallejo USN Light ghost grey brush on primer however that would be too light for these xenos so sticking with Vallejo brush on I went for German Panzer grey.

Next I gave the mini a generous was of GW Nuln oil, this immediately gave some contrast to the miniature.

The next step was to build up the depth of that contrast with progressive drybrushed layers, I used a short bristled stiff brush and as I layered on the paint I decreased the amount of paint, with the final layer the brush was dryer that the Sahara desert!
For the layers working out I used:

1) Vallejo Model colour German Grey 70.995
2) 50/50 Mix of German Grey and Vallejo Model Colour Neutral Grey 70.992
3)50/50 Mix Neutral Grey and Vallejo Model Colour Sky Grey 70.989

I then varnished the dome of the head with Vallejo Game colour Gloss varnish 72.072 and the rest with Vallejo Matt varnish 70.520

The bases I painted separately, I undercoated matt black using army painter spray to ensure I coated the grills of the Sulacco bases. The metal areas where then drybrushed with Vallejo Gunmetal Grey 70.863, washed with GW Nuln Oil and then sponged using a piece of torn up blister foam with Vallejo Model wash 76505 Light Rust & GW Agrax Earthshade with chips added using Vallejo Game Colour Chainmail Silver 72.053.

The Finished Brood

Image[/URL]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:58 am 

Nice post, I like heavy photos posting, at least it makes the waiting easier.

And by the way nice xenos, I don't liek quite much your infested bases, I would put some more lights there. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:30 pm 

Spiers So pleased that you were one of the lucky ones, Gingernut and myself couldn`t make the show. So still waiting, we love the paint job and the post in general ,look forward to Predators and Marines. Cheers all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:58 pm 

Golics Dragons
I quite like Alien3, actually I like it a lot. Some may say I have started with a bold and somewhat controversial statement. Admittedly Fincher's work is not the rollercoaster action adventure ride of Cameron's Aliens or the tense atmospheric horror of Scott's Alien and you would be foolish to argue so, but it is well, it is in my opinion a bloody good film in its own right. Yes when it came out I was at first disappointed, Hicks dead! Newt dead (well every cloud), no colonial marines armed to the teeth kicking ass, just a bunch of British character actors stuck on a planet with a plot full of holes. Like a fine wine however I feel it has matured in age, well with the release of the assembly cut that went a long way to filling the original plot holes.
So it was with some relish that I painted 'Golic's Dragons', for a guide I used pictures from an old set of trading cards
ImageFirst step was to pin and undercoat, again I used Vallejo USN light ghost grey primer.
Next I gave it a base coat of Vallejo German Camo black brown
Then I started dry brushing and washing, first layer was a 50:50 mix of Vallejo English uniform and German camo black brown, followed by a wash of GW Agrax Earthshade.
Next was a dry brush of Vallejo English uniform followed by a 50:50 mix of English uniform and Vallejo light brown.
I then washed with Vallejo light rust before I finally gave a highlight of Vallejo german camo orange ochre
I then varnished the dome of he head and tip of the tail with Vallejo game colour gloss varnish and the rest with Vallejo matt varnish
ImageJust need basing now,
The finished minis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:37 am 

Wow, good job, especially on the runners.
I was convinced the brown colour scheme wouldnt work on the minis but you've changed my mind.