It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:52 am 

Figured I better make a start on my AvP stuff, might only be a couple of years before I get the rest of my stuff!

Couple of days work and all the Aliens and Yutani commandos are done, quick airbrush then picked out a few details with the hairy stick. Never been a gloss finish man myself but felt that something on these Little fellas had to take on the classic shiny look so I compromised and glossed the heads, quite a funky look, pleased with it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:29 am 

Awesome job. The Commandos color scheme looks nice. And they are all mostly airbrushed? Gives the Aliens something special answer smooth paint job.
Envy you for the eggs and Facehuggers. I'm no backer so I don't know if I even will be able to normal buy them. I just wish they would still have made it without the bases. They look great of course. But I didn't use the secret weapon bases and now they wouldn't fit mine. Wonder if it might be possible to cut them off? Or to tighten fitted on them?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:34 pm 

I would imagine if you were really careful the huggers could be cut off to re-mount. I scratch built all the other bases myself

All the base colours and shading airbrushed then finished off detailing with brush work, mostly brush work on the commandos who's colour scheme I based roughly on the ones that turn up at the end of the third film, I really do like these versions better though, the originals look more like hockey players :p

End of the day airbrushing is a great way to mass paint rank and file troops like these to a decent standard, did ALL the alien stuff in two days flat in between other projects!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:39 pm 

I have to hold my hands up and say to Prodos amazing job on the miniatures though, the range of movement and dynamic poses they achieved is simply amazing, surprisingly resilient too considering the 'softness' of extremities such as tails. It's just a real shame they blotted their copy books with all the kickstarter stuff, I waited forever and I know some people are STILL waiting on their stuff, let's hope they pull thier thumbs out of their ovipositors and sort things out ASAP as I would really like to see this franchise go from strength to strength ...now when is that damn gunship coming guys! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:30 pm 

Yes, especially for miniatures like the Aliens, airbrushing is a quick way to paint a lot in short time for sure. And also very fitting with their color scheme.
I also think it's a bit pity that the forum is quite dead and not more people show their painting work and talk about the game. I guess many are pissed that they still haven't received their stuff? Understandable, of course. But the game is fun and the miniatures are brilliant. As a big Alien movies fan it's alread more than enough reason to be exited about it for the miniatures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:53 pm 

So if never used an airbrush and I am very curious how you painted these so quickly? Can you talk through your airbrush technique?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:06 am 

If I get a little spare time I will try and put a little guide together mate but spare time for me is as rare as rocking horse shizzle right now!

In the meantime....

Marines done! I decided to add some cables to the loader (simply 1mm wire bent to shape) because in my opinion a loader just aint a loader with all those lovely hydraulic cables!

Queen/Loader comparison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:20 am 

Excellent job!
The Marines look great. Good work with the camo, too. I regret that I didn´t paint mine´s armor with camo but only green. But I´m too lazy to redo it. Back then I thought it might look a bit "untidy" if I painted camo on it because the models are so tiny.

And I love the loader. Looks great with the cables. I will copy your idea once I will paint mine too hehe. Haven´t started yet because too less time to paint in recently and I hate painting large models and a bit afraid of painting yellow. Gotta get some other colors first because oy old Citadel yellow totally sucks.
The mesh on top of the loader also looks good. I was wondering about remocing the pice and putting in some real mesh. But will be hard to find something that is thin enough. guess painting is the better idea.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:48 pm 

Would window screen mesh work?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:50 pm 

I actually had some mesh from the back of a tiger 1 model which would have been perfect but I had nearly painted it by then and just couldn't be arsed!

I was unsure about the Camo'd armour too but I have another set of marines 'eventually' coming so figured I would do the plates a lighter plain green on the new set to easlily distinguish squads

Guess it's just the Preds to do now then twiddle my thumbs for the other stuff and the Dropship to arrive!