It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 am 

Me and my mate Ivo played our second game of Warzone yesterday evening at the club. Once again we decided to play a 750 points game. Our forces:

Marijn – Cybertronic
Everassur
6 Chasseurs
6 Armoured Chasseurs
2 Atillas (Weapons Overhaul)
1 Scorpion
Resources: 5

Ivo – Capitol
Captain Henry Thomas
7 Heavy Infantry
5 Light Infantry
5 Martian Banshees
2 Purple Sharks
Resources: 6
Training: 5th “Boost Junkies” Combat Engineer Battalion

Priority & Corporate Missions
Priority mission: Reconnaissance (control 3 of the 5 zones)
Marijn’s corporate mission: The Lamb (Heavy Infantry)
Ivo’s corporate mission: The Lamb (Heavy Infantry)
(I misread The Lamb though and thought I had to kill an enemy squad commander; I chose the Heavy Infantry Squad Commander because of the first game ;))

Deployment
I won the roll:

I deployed the Chasseurs on the right, then the Everassur, the Armoured Chasseurs went in the building (hooray for Blink!) and the Atillas on the right flank. The scorpion was *somewhere* underground…waiting…

Ivo deployed his light infantry on his right flank, then the heavy infantry next to Henry Thomas. The Banshees went behind the container and the Purple Sharks on his left flank.
Let’s get rolling!

Turn 1
I first activated the Chasseurs to get them to safety and out of sight. They ran to the building on my left to get a big blocking building between them and the ‘Murricans. Ivo activated the Purple Sharks and they did a Move x 3. This sped them way up the board and close to my ranks. I still had nightmares about the Purple Sharks after the first game, so decided to pour some lethal firepower into them. The Atillas activated. The first one moved up into heavy cover, burned a Resource for +1RoF and poured four shots into the right Shark. It took two damage, a good start! The second Atilla ran into the sewer processing plant, burned a Resource for +1RoF and burned a Resource for +1 action. He also poured four shots into the same Purple Sharks and destroyed it! Kerboom!
The Martian Banshees lusted for revenge, activated their jetpacks and raced to the middle of the board. The first two burned Resources to shoot the Atilla and it took 1 wound.
Time for the Scorpion to attack! I placed it behind the Heavy Infantry, getting 6 into CCWR and it also got Thomas into its CCWR. I rolled a 7 for Rapid Deployment so it stayed where it was. Then it was time for Ivo to roll for the auto damage. Three of the Heavy Infantry were crushed and Thomas took his first wound! I doubted whether to spend my second action on attacking Thomas or the Heavy Infantry. In the end I decided to go for Thomas. Burning a Resource to get +1 RoA the Scorpion dove in with four pincer attacks. I hit with all four and Ivo saved only one hit. SNIP! Sir Henry Thomas was snipped in half by the Scorpion. Damn…this thing is a BEAST!
Time for vengeance! Ivo activated the Heavy Infantry and they pumped some stims into their blood flow, so each model had a RoA of 3. 12 attacks later I failed two armour checks, but the last Resource was spent to get Heal (3)…and I healed both wounds. Damn. Ivo had some bad luck and I was VERY lucky. So the Scorpion escaped unscathed.
My Armoured Chasseurs all blinked forwards and tried to get some shots off at the Banshees, but they were out of range.
Ivo activated his last squad, the light infantry. They ran forwards to get closer to the action.
Finally, I activated the Everassur who ran up the stairs to get closer and on higher ground.

Turn 2
I won the Initiative roll and of course activated the Scorpion. I burned a Resource to get +1RoA and allocated one attack to each of the four Heavy Infantry. I missed two attacks, hit two, but Ivo saved both hits. Ivo retaliated with the four Heavy Infantrymen, now with only four attacks. Although a third of the number of attacks in turn 1, it was enough to inflict two wounds and take the Scorpion down.
I doubted whether I’d activate the Armoured Chasseurs or the Atillas to take on the last Purple Shark. In the end I chose for the Armoured Chasseurs because 12 shots sound better than 6 shots (especially if their AVV is the same). They blinked forwards and the firepower of the first three took down the last Purple Shark (involving a 1). Hooray! That went fast. Once again, luck on my part and bad luck on Ivo’s.
One Armoured Chasseur blinked unto the stairs and unloaded its Nailgun on a Banshee and shot him down. The last Armoured Chasseur shot down another.
The Banshees moved to the cover of the wrecks of the Purple Sharks and fired at the Chasseurs, but to no effect. The Atillas responded and took down two of the Banshees. The last one failed his Rout check and raced back towards his deployment zone.
The Light infantry moved up and fired at the Armoured Chasseurs. One was shot down by the M50s.
The Chasseur Squad Commander ran, burned a Resource to throw down a Mirage generator while his buddies ran or moved and fired at the Light Infantry. They took two down with their rapid firing guns.
Ivo was out of activations, so I also activated the Everassur. He ran up on the building and fired the plasma gun on a Light Infantry soldier. Ivo thought he had spaced them up well to counter the transference effect, but didn’t see one of them was close to the Heavy Infantry. The Light infantryman evaporated by the hot plasma and it transferred into the Heavy Infantry. Although the squad took four hits, Ivo lost one one of them.

Turn 3
Ivo won Initiative and activated the Heavy Infantry. They pointed their big guns at the Everassur…the second one hit him twice and also wounded him twice. Burning a Resource to up the Heal check had no effect. Ouch!
The Chasseurs activated and by aiming and throwing out loads of shots, they managed to take down one of the Light Infantry soldiers and a Heavy Infantry soldier. The Light Infantry failed the pinning check. Ivo activated the soldier and needed two actions to unpin, but had no resources to buy a third action. I activated the Everassur who moved a bit closer and he blew apart the front Heavy Infantry soldier. Next up was the Banshee, who failed to recover from his Rout. The Armoured Chasseurs blinked forwards and the nailguns took down the last Light Infantry soldier. The Atillas ran.
Ivo was down to two models now.

Turn 4
I won Initiative and activated the Armoured Chasseurs. Once again they blinked closer and the nailguns took down the Heavy Infantry. Ivo activated his Banshee and he managed to recover from his rout! With his second action he hid behind the container.
I ran with the rest of my force to cover as many zones as possible and surround the last soldier.

Turn 5
Ivo won Initiative, activated the Banshee who took a pot shot at the Armoured Chasseurs but missed. The Armoured Chasseurs shot him down. Victory goes to Cybertronic!

Afterthoughts

Wow, what a totally different game from the first. First off I was quite lucky and Ivo had a lot of bad luck at important moments. Thomas dying in the first turn, the Scorpion surviving the first turn, the Sharks going down in no time. It was all bizarre and the game went very fast.
Scorpion: Okay, this guy is INSANE. Dishing out free hits and then making more attacks is so powerful, it’s easy to take out scores of models, especially if you’d take 2 or more. I understand Mark Theurer’s respect for them now ;). They are expensive and lack real defensive stats but the fact that you simply choose a squad which either dies or takes a huge hit is very powerful. In fact, when taking two, I think it’s hard for most Warlords to evade getting killed by them. Taking two autohits and then 8 attacks is a big chance of dying. I think they will be a staple unit and are probably the best squad Cybertronic has. But I also think their Unburrowing might be a bit overpowered since there is not a lot you can do against it and they almost never deploy wrong thanks to their Un-burrow ability.
Atillas: A solid squad which can dish out loads of high damage shots. But I think they’re less useful against vehicles than the Armoured Chasseurs. They have less shots and their AV and RS is the same. They do make good infantry killers, especially with a Weapons Overhaul. St15 is absurd and Piercing is nasty against lots of light infantry. So I think I will use them differently next time. But the discussion is whether they are actually that interesting when compared to Scorpions. True, they have more staying power, but their damage potential is lower. So when choosing between them, I think the Scorpion will win out. But the combination of using both sounds very good. Then you have a solid and rigid firebase moving from the front and a nasty surprise attack in the back. Lots of points though.
Armoured Chasseurs: still a big fan of them. Two shots at excellent RS with Blink and good Armour is a fantastic combination. They are so versatile and the scenery doesn’t really matter to them. They stay!
Chasseurs: Also a solid backbone. Cheap in points, lots of shots and good range. Definitely a stayer in combation with the Armoured dudes.
Everassur: Excellent model and plasma is always fun!

Hopefully we play a third game soon :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:39 pm 

A great battlereport! Really enjoyed it. I usually prefer reading battlereports, with pictures, to watching a video of them. One question though: What brand of terrain are those buildings, and where can I get them?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:57 pm 

That Scorpion is nasty! This is the second time I read about it and it is one scary unit from Cybertronic. Ivo (and me if we ever get a game together) has been warned ;)

One thing I'm curious about; how did you guys experience the board lay-out? It seems alot more open than your first game. And seems to have alot of big fire-lanes, or am I wrong?

Love the second battle-report, and I'm looking forward to the third episode!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:16 pm 

Ivo should probably of kept his Warlord secure and rapid deploy him with some air infantry once you activated the scorpion. Would of given him a fighting chance and given you something to think about on the back lines when they would of dropped. At least that'll be my tactic when I'll play vs. Cybertronic :)

Great batrep! Glad to see that Cybertronic is as solid in play as it's in paper. :) Can't wait to get my stuff!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 pm 

I beleive some of that terrain is from the infinity range. Some of my guys have it and its super nice stuff.

Man, the cap player should have had more troops. Seems he put all his eggs in one basket. It may be a carry over from playing imperial guard but I like to have more guns than the other guy :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:43 pm 

Cheers lads! The scenery:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/barracks-p-577.html

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/catw ... p-554.html

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/dist ... p-578.html

The sewer processing plant (where the Atillas were) is an OOP Micro Art Studios building and the container is an OOp AT-43 container.

Concerning Ivo's troops, I think his heavy infantry is a stayer and rightly so. The seven of them can pump out 14 shots at 28" with tremendous power and have good defensive stats (high Armour and Heal 4). But they cost you a lot of points, so you need some cheap bodies. Maybe trade in the Banshees for more Light infantry.