It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 am 

First of all: No pix here... frankly, we forgot to take photos.

My list (Legion)
Alakhai
Legionnaires + Necromutant + HMG
Legionnaires + Necromutant
Necromutants + hv. Flamer
Razide
Razide + Nazgaroth
2 Stalkers + 2 Hindenburgs
Necrobeast Rider

His list:
Max Steiner
2x Troopers
1x Rangers (+ Rocket Launcher)
Vulcan (Ranged variant)
3 Juggernauts
Etoiles Mortant

From the past games, I felt quiet safe with the Legionnaires. They lack the ability to run - but otherwise they are troopers like everyone else and seem to perform okay. The Necromutants I wanted to try out, because they seem to be the super-upgraded version of the Legionnaires without the drawbacks but with double the firepower. Razides never fail to impress me and the Necrobeast Rider... I wasnt very convinced of him, because his ability to deal damage is somewhat limited. On the other hand he is not that easy to kill and really fast. Finally the Stalkers... I complained a lot about them in the past and they still are costly for 80 points, but I think with the slight adjustments (immune to critical force) they are slowly getting balanced.

I really fear vehicles because in the past I had great problems destroying them.

Turn 1
Both armies were deployed on their respective tableside (Mission: Kill them all!) with Stalkers and Etoiles waiting to be deployed via rapid deployment.
First casualties were 3 Legionnaires (thanks, Vulcan), then Alakhai reduced the vision to 18". This really didnt help as the Juggernauts still were able to see him - and inflict 3 wounds via shooting. Wow! What a bad luck with my dice. After that, the Etoiles landed right on top of him - and killed him off. That was the point in the game where I sat back and was thinking about conceding. 8 Resource cards gone and only 3 left. 220 points just gone. Didnt seem that cool. And I must stress that connecting that many resource cards to the Lors still seems a bit odd. I feel it would have been better if every army had a base amount of cards, depending on the army size, with slight increases through squad leaders and lords.
Anyway: I chose to continue to play, mostly because I wanted some more play experience and didnt know what else to do.
I engaged the Etoiles with my troops and caused some damage with them. Also, 1 Juggernaut died due to a lucky shot.
The last thing the game turn brought was my stalkers. They didnt land where I wanted them to, but it was good enough. I played "Eye for an Eye", reducing the Venusian Rangers AV against Flamers to 0, thus took out the whole squad (!) while the second Stalker caused 2 torso wounds with the Vulcan. I redeployed them with Arcane Regurgitation, landing them on the left flank.

Turn 1 casualties:
Alakhai
3 Legionnaires
5(6?) Venusian Rangers
2 Etoiles

Turn 2:
I won the initiative (yay), but wasnt allowed to activate the Stalkers. So I didnt and began with inflicting some further casualties to the Etoiles, leaving only 1. My opponent took his Vulcan over to the stalkes, unleashed hell upon them and after the smoke cleared, 1 was still alive with 1 wound. MUCH YAY! Because then the next thing I did was position him right and again flaming his Vulcan (and a troop of Bauhaus troopers, too). The troopers were once again afflicted by "Eye for an Eye", killing all of them, and this time my AVV12 RoF2, critical Damage:2 Flamer managed to destroy the Vulcan, too. And best of all: the Stalker still stood there so my opponent had to use some of his troops to get rid of him. Max Steiner did this job admirably.
The rest of the Juggernauts let their cannons speak - and with the help of a tactical card (Driven to Excellence) and a motion tracking beacon they did 10 shots at my Necromutants, killing all but 2. The Etoiles were finally killed, but turn 2 was definately my turn to shine. On the other hand, the whole action with the stalkers felt SO incredibly unfair that it felt like cheating.

Casualties Turn 2:
remaining Etoiles
1 Bauhaus trooper troop
1 Vulcan
5 Necromutants
2 Legionnaires
2 Stalker

Turn 3
One more casualty on the Necromutants and then my opponent started concentrating his fire on one of my Razides. To be honest, there wasnt really much left (1 troop of troopers, 2 Juggernauts and Max Steiner). On my side it looked a bit brighter (1 Necrobeast Rider, 2 Razides and some leftover Legionnaires). The Razide only lost 2 Wounds, however and returned fire. I do not really recall, but I guess that not that many soldiers died during this turn.

Turn 4, a.k.a. the icredible turn
With some heavy firepower facing me on the right flank (Juggernauts & Troopers) and some more on the left (Steiner), I chose Steiner as my next target, even more so because our Corporate Mission was to eliminate the opposing Warlord. So a Razide approached him and the Necrobeast Rider, too. I reconed that at least one of them would reach him. But they didnt. The Necrobeast Rider had a clear shot on him, which he took. Pistol shot 1: wound, Pistol shot 2: headshot. Dead Max Steiner. I guess my opponent was as shocked as I was at this point. His Juggernauts and Troopers tried to take the Necrobeast Rider down but couldnt. This was when he admitted that the troop of Rangers I killed with the flamer contained his only way of defeating vehicles, the Rocket launcher. Bad thing.
Somewhere along the line, the wounded Razide died.

Turn 5
Not much left here. The Razide and Necrobeast came down on the rest of the Bauhaus troops, killing both Juggernauts, two lonely legionnaires stumbled across a marker (secondary mission) and although it was the first marker in the game, it was it!

Game over, Dark Legion won (I reduced him to under 25%, found the marker, killed his warlord, he reduced me to 50%, found no marker, killed my warlord).

What a game.
The rapid deployment ruled really should be looked at because it is so increadibly deadly.

Legionnaires:
They did less then they used to. Perhaps because this time they weren´t completely ignored. I dont even know if they killed anything. They DID find the marker though.

Necromutants:
Killed in 1 burst of fire before they could do something. But my opponent was a bit frightened of them, so they cant be that bad ;)

Razides:
the best thing about them: Impenetrable Armor. And the other best thing about them: IGNORE cover! This is so good!

Necrobeast Rider:
I am getting more and more convinced. Although he still isnt able to deal that much, he can soak a lot of damage before he dies. More than other things that cost 125 pts.

Alakhai:
Sad, Sad, Dunnagh. I dont really know how the hell I could have saved him.

For the next game, I would save the points for the heavy flamer and buy another Legionnaire. other than that, the list seemed quiet solid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:52 pm 

You used correctly Rapid Deployement? Because the turn they land, they need cards to attack in CC (or they landed in CCWR?). Rapid Deploy counts as a Movement Action, another Action to Engage, and you need a third action to attack in CC. But yes, if your are lucky, Etoiles and Valkyries are really really cheap (15 points and 11 points) and they can kill a lot more that they cost.

I agree that Alakhai is too much expensive. If it reach CC is a BEAST, but you need a lot of turns to reach CC, and your oponent is not an idiot and will avoid it. It needs some tweaks (like use Dark Symmetry...)
Golgotha is the best Warlord for the points.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:14 pm 

Alakhai wrote:
You used correctly Rapid Deployement? Because the turn they land, they need cards to attack in CC (or they landed in CCWR?). Rapid Deploy counts as a Movement Action, another Action to Engage, and you need a third action to attack in CC. But yes, if your are lucky, Etoiles and Valkyries are really really cheap (15 points and 11 points) and they can kill a lot more that they cost.

You don't have to engage to fight in CC. You can fight in CC as long as you are within CCWR. Rapid deployment counts as one action, meaning they each had an action left, and thus were able to fight a round of CC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:18 pm 

they landed in CCRW. They can use their full LD when Rapid Deploying (instead of half that value), so in most cases they will land where they want to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm 

Dunnagh wrote:
they landed in CCRW. They can use their full LD when Rapid Deploying (instead of half that value), so in most cases they will land where they want to.

I'm wondering Dunnagh, did you play that each character did their action, then you landed the next one? They way I read it, I would first smack down all of the models, subtract one action from each, then do the remaining action with each in turn. This is at least how I read it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 am 

It´s not really in the rules. You could read it both ways. They use the term "successively the land..." that could mean

a) they land, one after the other, then after all have been placed, act. But this would contradict the rule a bit that a model that has been activated NEEDS to use it´s AP before the next model is activated. But it would make more sense because it´s more likely that they all come out at once.
b) they land and act one after another.

we played it as a). But we are currently discussing it ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:09 pm 

Nice report, a few things for your next fight. :)

Put some bodyguards close to your Warlord, that way you can use its Shielded ability and spread the wound effects somewhere else.

Make sure you nominate Terrain types on the battlefields, not just cover but also what might be Open, Light, Heavy and Impassable Terrain. By the default rules you can put down your Rapid Deploy marker in anything but Open Terrain. So if you put your units in Light Terrain they are safer from Rapid Deploy ambushes as the enemy can only deploy within 3" from the marker.

Last you should put down your whole squad at the same time and then resolve their actions as it is a squad special skill. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:36 pm 

I dont know about the last one, but I´ll ask in the rules section ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:53 pm 

With Rapid Deployment you place the entire squad down then activate each model individually for their second action.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 pm 

Has anybody with dark legion lost a single game.. ever ?
Seems so overpowered with so many powerful units/monsters etc :?: