It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:52 pm 

Had a brilliant day over at Raptor911’s home, spending the afternoon chatting and playing warzone. He and I had both had recent victories, him with his Capitols against a proxy Dark Legion army I have, and then me with my Cybertronics. “Come on over, well drink a few beers, have a few laughs.. no big whoop” he said. Raptor had failed to inform me that his new Super Heavy tank, the Leviathan had come in the mail on Monday. I was duitfuly surprised, and very impressed with his paint job, and at the same time a bit scared. I do not currently have the funds for an Eradicator, but I do have an old Gundam model kit, that is the exact same height and footprint of the EDD, so I proxied it.

Sadly enough, I discovered that I forgot to bring my deck of cards. So we both agreed we would play a 1000 point Normal Game, heavy OCC. We rolled for missions, and got Supply run. Each of us would have to try and capture tokens representing vital information from the center of the board.
We rolled for initiative. And Capitol won.

Our table was set up like this:

Raptor decided to be the attacker to the base, and me be the defender. Thus began

The attack on outpost Omnicron 19.

“Major O’Niel”, said the captian. “Sensors have indicated that a Capitol Friggate has entered orbit, and has just launched a trio of Dropships to our location. Our base may be under attack.
“Capitol?”, said the Major not looking up from his iPad 3000. “Arnt they the ones that wear furs and run around like dogs”.
“No Sir,”, said the Captian. “That’s the Imperials. Capitols actually use some technology. Sensors indicate they have dropped in heavy armor.
“Well”, said the major putting down his game and reaching for his custom assault rifle. “ Trigger the Scorpion defense system, and lets go have a look and see what they want”.

My Cybertronic forces consisted of:
Custom 140 point shooty warlord.
1 Squad of Chasseurs with a Rocket Launcher
2 Squads of Armored Chasseurs
3 Enhanced Machinators with +1 movement.
2 Scorpions
1 Eradicator Death Droid (Proxied)

Raptor’s Capitol forces consisted of
3 units of Light Infantry
1 unit of Heavy Infantry
Big Bob Watts
Leviathan
2 Purple Sharks
(Please note that his Orca, the “Jolly Green Giant” was in the picture, but is not in the army)
Capital won initiative, and I set up my forces. After deployment our table looked like this:

Turn 1.
Raptor takes the initiative and SCREAMS his pair of purple sharks across the battlefield, landing on top of the cargo crates where the Machinators had infiltrated. He drops grenades onto the machinators. The Machinators though hold tough. And only take a pair of wounds between the three of them.

Powering up, the machniators engage the sharks in HTH, and take them out.
After that intial volley, we begin jockeying for battlefield position in earnest. He moves one squad of light infantry up the far left flank. I move one squad of Armored chasseurs up the right flank, near the machinators.

He takes his second squad of light infantry and moves them up near the left middle of the board, obviously trying to take the far Left objective. I respond in kind moving my armored chasseurs up the left middle. Due to the large amount of cover, there are very few shots that can be fired off between us.

Raptor then moves his Heavy Infantry which are high on a hill on the left flank in his deployment zone. This perch offers them a fantastic view of the battlefield. They are able to peer down the sights of their heavy machine guns and take out one of the Machinators hiding far on the other side of the battlefield.
Well this upsets the driver of the Eradicator who moves up behind a large industrial tower to take out this nest of snipers. Unfortunately he finds out they are laughing at him outside his weapon range, so he makes himself as small as an Eradicator can, against the tower and hopes to not get shot.

Meanwhile the Leviathan had been hiding in a set of terrain in the back of the board. With the Eradicator having moved, Raptor drove the heavy tank forward and aimed at the Rocket Launcher toting regular chasseurs who were sitting up on a hill on the R flank, behind a large (but apparently inactive) gun emplacement. The Leviathan kills 3 of the 5, including the rocket launcher, but the chasseurs make their pin test and hold firm.

Seeing a chance. Major ONeil, the custom shooty warlord with a ROF of 4 and an AVV of 4, sneaks forward and aims at the Leviathan. I also burn a card to up the ROF. [ed note, I did not take notes on all the card burning on both sides]. The results are a measly 2 hull damage on the Leviathan. This thing is a beast.

Unfortunately my bold move puts me out by myself. A choice target that Big Bob cannot let go. He cranks up the rotors on his autocannons and with a maniacal laugh, sends round after round of bullets at my commander. He ducks behind the sandbags, but not before he gets hit twice. Only one wound left.

That’s when the commander pushes the panic button. Two Scorpions surface up to help defend the Cybertronic base. The pair cause so many autohits on the light infantry squad they unburrow next to that all but one infantrymen die. [The lone infantry makes his leadership roll, and comes back later on in the game] One scorpion engages big bob, and one engages the leviathan. Both scorpions burn a card to make a close combat attack. One scorpion casues two wounds on Big Bob, and the other causes one SP damage on the hull of the leviathan. (Total of 3 damage on the Hull so far).

At the end of Round 1, our table looked like this:

Turn two.

Rolling for Intiative, this time Cybertronic takes the fore. I would like to attack in close combat again with the Scorpions, but “The last Squad Activated in the previous Game Turn for each Player may not be Activated first in the new Game Turn.”. So instead I run the Machinators up over the crates and into cover of the woods in a direct LOS of the Leviathan, and hope to have them survive to the next turn.

Raptor activated Big Bob Wats, who puts a steel toed boot up the ass of the Scorpion that he is fighting and kills it deader than dicks hatband. I HATE scorpions, says Raptor triumphantly.

Unforunatly, killing the scorpion un-engages Big Bob, who is now in line of sight of my commander. My very angry and very wounded commander who had just been shot up. In the previous turn. “Goodbye Big Bob”, says Major O’Neil, looking through his sight an squeezing his trigger. One T2B and 5 shots later and two bullets miss Big Bobs ear by about four inches. Unfortunately they miss in the wrong direction and this pretty much hits him right between the eyes. Bob is dead.

The Leviathan commander looks out through the windowslits and sees a giant scorpion robot pounding on his tank’s hood. “What should we do Commander”, says the corporal at the helm. “Reverse you shizzle maggot!” yells the commander. The Leviathan reverses, disengaging. Its AV 18 laughs at the paultry autohit from the disengage, and takes no damage. Unfortuantley you cannot give vehicles an additional AP. And since he was engaged at the time of activation, he can only use his 1 AP to disengage.

Major O Neil looks up at the heavy infantry on the hill and realizes he is far to exposed. “Come down here!” he yells to the remnants of the Regular Chasseaur squad above him. “Now.. drop your shield generator here. And you two stand right here in front of me. That’s an order!”. With the arrival of his meat shield, er, I mean lieutenants, Major O’Neil begins to feel safer.

It was wise too, because the Heavy Infantry activate next. The sergeant calls down an airstrike “Venusian Thunder”, on the commander and the Chasseurs. Thankfully the strike scatters off harmlessly behind them. The other Heavy Infantry throw shot after shot into the Scorpion. It dies. In fact it dies to the first two bullets. But they keep shooting. “I HATE scorpions”, says Raptor.

Watching the airstrike land near him, Major O’Neil looks at the Armored Chasseurs to his left. “You.. you there… Squad.. come over here. Now stand RIGHT in front of me. RIGHT there. Don’t move. That’s an order”. The Armored Chasseurs do as they are told. However the muttering of “Coward” and “Sir Robin” are muttered across their secure channel.

Meanwhile Sgt. Hutch, the lone Capitol light infantry that escaped the scorpion uprising sees the Machinators hiding in the woods. “Die you Robot Bastards!” he yells throwing a grenade. Sadly the grenade bounces off the head of one of the machinators and explodes several harmless yards away. One Machniator shakes his head sadly, while the other one makes the shape of an “L” with his robotic hand on his forehead.

On the other side of the battlefield, the second Armored Chasseur squad power blinks through several buildings to hide behind three large fuel towers next to the left objective. Everyone makes it through the warp. Well everyone except Corporal Jenkins who comes out of the warp, with his armor covered in claw marks. “Get them off Get them OFF” he yells, and then crumples over sideways in a heap, not to get up again. Warp Travel… There is reason we don’t all do it.

Directly on the other side of the fuel towers from the Armored Chasseurs, Capitol Light Infantry Squad one runs forward and searches the computer outpost attached to the towers. There it lists the chemical makeup of the fuel, a new highly efficient formulae, and one of the three objectives of the raid. “GO GO GO GO HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT!” they all yell at each other.

The Eradicator, now pretty sure its safe to come out, slips out from behind the building where he was hiding and moves towards the Heavy Infantry. He fires and hits with his Magmascorcher, and his missile launcher. When the smoke clears (and the amazing armor and heal rolls are made) only one Heavy Infantry lies dead. The other four give the Eradicator the finger.

Lastly Capitol Light Infantry Squad Number 2 moves up to support light infantry number one escape with the objective.

At the end of turn 2 our table looked like this:

Turn 3:
Once again Cybertronic got initiative.

Wanting to tie up the Leviathan for aonther turn, I charged the two Machinators into it, Turned to burn to give them AVV5 and did only 1 wound on the hull. The Leviathan now has 4 out of 6 hull wounds. Raven here said that he should have sacrificed Sgt Hutch and have him charge into the Machinators to hold them up for a turn, instead of throwing the grenade. Sgt Hutch (still alive), politely disagreed.

Once again the Leviathan Commander looks out the window. “Now there are two big robots banging on our hood”. “Cant we just drive over them?”, said the Corporal. “No, not enough Action Points”, said the Commander. “All engines reverse”. The super heavy tank reverses direction. The two Machinators “Free hits” bounce harmlessly off of the AVV 18 armor.

Once again the Heavy squad on the hill takes aim at the Leviathans opponent. They obliterate the two machinators in a hail of gunfire. Or as they say in the southern United States “Yeap, we blow ‘em up reall good like”. But the Machinators have done their purpose, tying up the Leviathan AND a Heavy weapon squad.

Now Major O’Neil, with only one wound, but feeling much more confident surrounded by his loyal troops, moves up again and aims and shoots into the Leviathan. He inflicts 2 wounds on the hull, destroying the tank.

Seeing my commander again exposed, Light Infantry squad #1 (with the objective) calls down a Venusian Thunder Airstrike on him, but it scatters just barely out of range. Major O’Neil soils his armor. They also fire two shots, missing. The other members of the squad start to return the objective towards Raptor’s table edge.

Then came one of the moments I have been waiting for. I blink the armored Chasseurs THROUGH the fuel tanks right behind the light infantry squad with the objective. I unload with shotguns, killing half the squad. They pass their pinning test.

Capitol Light Squad 1 with the objective calls for backup from light squad two. “We have your back!”, says squad 2. They then proceed to climb on top of the shipping crates and throw grenades down on the Armored Chasseurs. Some bad scattering cause the grenades to kill not only most of the Armored Chasseur squad, but all of Light Squad 1. “Perhaps throwing fragmentations grenades in a confined space is not such a good idea”, said Raptor. I pointed out that Light Squad 1 (now deceased), will at least not be writing a complaint to HQ about the actions of light squad 2.

Lastly the Eradicator moves up and shoots everything he has into the Heavy Squad on the hill. Only the sergeant survives.

At this time, Raptor concedes.

Our final round (turn 3) looks like this:

Last edited by diggitydug on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 pm 

Analaysis:

Warzone is fun.

Cybertronics as an army list is capable, but its predictable. I understand this comes with the fact that the army is in its infancy, and it list is not nearly as fleshed out as Capitol or Bauhus. Im sure the pending Imperial release will have an even further level of detail. I will not complain though, because at least I am not poor Mishima. These lists will all be filled out in time.

The main way I have dealt with heavy armor are:
1) Scorpions
2) Custom Warlord.

The custom shooty 140 pt warlord is TOP NOTCH. It save a lot of points in my army, is cheaper even then Dr. Diana (who is a close combat beast). And if put in with a squad of Chasseaurs, can use them as ablative armor. (Poor chasseurs).

Scorpions are predictable. As soon as Raptor learns to screen his rear (hur hur hur), it will make Scorpions less effective. Even then, with a pair, I could probably surface near them and kill enough with the surfacing autohits that I could clear them out.

So for now Scorpions are a must have. This makes games a bit repetative. Raptor knows that if he takes a big unit, I am going to use Scorpions to tie it up in HTH, while I kill off the rest of his list. I would like Cybertronic to have another dedicated anti-armor section. And while you can all point at the rocket launcher, one RS 13 single shot AVV 7 weapon is not going to do much. It took two scorpions, and a ROF 5 avv 5 warlord to make a dent in the Leviathan. Id like to see either anti-vehicle mines as an option to armored chasseurs, or an Atillia with a high AVV weapon choice. Again, is it NEEDED to be competative? No. would it keep from playing the same army list over and over? yes. And Time will bring that, im sure when the Cybertronic book comes out someday.

The machiators have not impressed me as much, but I dont think im playing them right. They have infiltrate (which has a limit of you must be 12" away from an opponent) but can up their move to 7, meaning you can engage 14" away. They are also the only unit to stunlock. So I think these will be pointed at the Capitol Heavy infantry next. They are really a Hand to hand unit that shoots, not a shooty unit that can do close combat.

Heavy armor like the Leviathan, is a BEAST to kill. But I dont think its overpowered, as shown in the report. If it were not for AIM being allowed to choose location, they would be really bad. That being said. I think the leviathan is too many points in one model. I think a pair of Orcas is much more scary than a Leviathan for me to fight against.

I think if we expand Raptor's troop choices, and get him another squad of Heavy Infantry, or some of his other troop types, we will see the tide shift in his favor.

Last edited by diggitydug on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:29 pm 

Had an absolute blast with this game.

after action thoughts:

My heavy infantry really did most of the work of killing. I'm very happy with them, and they really stood tough against a hail of incoming fire.

Next time, charge! I need to learn to do what you constantly do to me, engage and tie up units with close combat.

I had way more firepower than I could effective bring to bear due to the cover on this board. It was hard to get clear shots.

I like Venusian Thunder. When it hits, it usually leaves some bodies on the ground.

I was debating between the bikes or the Sea Lions, I think I should have taken the Sea Lions, they would have been more flexible and might have lasted longer than the bikes.

The tank didn't do much damage, but then spent most of the game with the commanded banging on the drivers helmet yelling "back up you fool!" By the time it got free its armor had been chipped away to nothing. It did take some killing though.

I had taken the ranged warlord ammo type for the infantry that reduced the damage but increased the range, my thoughts being that I could chip away at range were he couldn't return fire, but the mission required moving up to retreive objectives. So I was stuck with underpowered guns that just bounced off his considerably think armor.

I should have put BBW with the infantry squad. I have to remember the meat shields next time ;-)

This like previous games was a fun learning experience. I will try to not repeat my mistakes in the next games. I'm sure I will come up with all new ones.

Oh, and the bikes just popped grenades at the machinators, they didn't shoot the guns ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:37 pm 

Cool bat rep!

Raven, don't forget Big Bob can bring Free Marines as troops. They are hard core their demo charges are brutal, plus they are really survivable with their Heal 5.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:40 pm 

thanks! I want to add Free Marines, but I hate the actual models for them, when the Colonial Marines for AVP become availible I want to get some of those to use as free marines. Maybe next time I'll sub the LI for FM to try them out. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:38 pm 

Raven911 wrote:
thanks! I want to add Free Marines, but I hate the actual models for them, when the Colonial Marines for AVP become availible I want to get some of those to use as free marines. Maybe next time I'll sub the LI for FM to try them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I kitbashed my FM with Sea Lion bits.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:36 pm 

This was actually one of TWO Games we played yesterday. I will get the second battle report written up soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:44 pm 

ohhhhh!!! heavies ;) cool stuff, thanks !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:44 am 

Awesome battle report. Love the little Bits of fluff interspersed.

Some notes.

Tanks do not get their ap reduced for being engaged. They just lose their ability to shoot that turn. They can still do any movement based action... Including ramming. (Hint for next time)

Sharks are much better at shooting... Don't run up and put them in melee or engage range, or automated bombardment range unless it's a last ditch effort and you know you are sacrificing your sharks in the process. Watch your distances and keep them to the 12"-18" range of their targets. It's a premeasuring game. Even vs targets in cover with minuses you still have a small chance of rolling 1's

Great use of the scorpion btw but my advice is rear arc on the tanks... As he can only move in reverse and not ram/engage in reverse. Keep in mind you select locations vs tanks in melee.

Cyber has absolutely no need of anything avv... All their weapons have avv... All of them. None of the other corporations have that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:18 am 

Thanks Blueshark for the info. Next time we'll drop it in drive and plow over them.

This is only the second time using the sharks. Still trying to figure them out. Ill take you advice and try it next time.