It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:08 pm 

Titan’s oil oceans have always been disputed by the warring solar system factions.. Each one of the megacorporations have their bit of the planet, and refineries’ chimneys are a very common sight in Titan’s horizon. Refinery 106 is a very florid facility, allowing Cybertronic to stock huge quantities of various kinds of hydrocarbons. It’s built on an archipelago of islands in the greatest ocean, and it sports a surprising quantity of the so called “oil mangrove”, a genetic hybrid between mangroves’ water voracity and cactus’ water capacity, engineered to grow in such an environment, who has the duty of filtering in its large violet leafs the oil, which gains a purity never achieved before. The Cybertronic defend well this refinery, because they know its value, unfortunately this value is not secret… the ferocious Blood Berets has been sent to conquest the facility by a stealth approach and a sudden strike, while 2 squads of trenchers cover their backs. Unfortunately, a green trencher stumbles on an alarmed trap, and awakes the whole refinery..
Attachment:
Blood Berets, objective in sight!.jpg
Blood Berets, objective in sight!.jpg [ 43.84 KiB | Viewed 3721 times ]

Attachment:
Refinery 106 scenario.jpg
Refinery 106 scenario.jpg [ 135.29 KiB | Viewed 3721 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:10 pm 

Mission: F.U.B.A.R., Inspiring Leadership
Special Rules: due to low gravity, light terrain counts as open, and heavy counts as light. Climbing is considered light terrain. Only exception is the oil sea, which counts as heavy terrain (due to shallow wat--- ehm, oil. Leap is calculated with large bases.

Forces:
CYBERTRONIC
Everassur
10x Armored Chasseurs
5x Mirrormen, with Enhanced Optics

IMPERIAL
Michael Farraday
10x Trenchers, with Officer and Company Banner, with Kirkwood medal (I understood this medal is pointless for Trenchers, they already have the light-to-heavy-cover bonus)
5x Trenchers, with Raven Crag medal
5x Blood Berets, with Chainrippers and Kirkwood medal

DEPLOYMENT
Imperial forces, even if their stealth approach has failed, are able to keep their cohesion, landing all the squads in only 2 table edges. The Everassur decides to hide behind the refinery’s entrance, and orders his men to form a straight line of defense near his position, looking for the clearest fire lanes..

Attachment:
Refinery 106 deployment.jpg
Refinery 106 deployment.jpg [ 144.71 KiB | Viewed 3720 times ]

TURN 1
Michael Farraday engages the very edge of Cybertronic’s line, brutally ripping the armored chasseur nearest to his position, but suffers a wound from his victim’s fellows. Trenchers on both corners deliver a hail of bullets, killing 4 chasseurs, which will perform a pinning test. The Blood Berets, pissed off for the triggered alarm, are now worried about the distance they’ll have to cover before relieving the bloodthirsty of their chainrippers.. They stubbornly keep on advancing, though, covering behind a ruined corner. The Cybertronic‘s force of defense felt the surprise, because they don’t hit nothing more than an unfortunate trencher!
TURN 2
Farraday gets wiped off by a storm of nailgun and shotgun shells, trenchers kill 2 mirrormen, while suffering 1 loss. Their ability to consider light cover as heavy is a real problem for the chasseurs firing on them! The oil mangroves keep Her Serenity’s forces well hidden while firing to the opposing forces, claiming 2 kills. The Everassur prefers to stay in cover.
TURN 3
1 more loss in the trencher’s line by a mirrorman, but Blood Berets retaliate by climbing on the refinery, killing him and a chasseur, and then they open their formation to get close to the nothern Cybertronic’s forces. The chasseurs are unable to claim kills, but suffer 2 more losses from the accurate trencher’s HMG fire, while the everassur keeps in cover after losing 1 wound. The NCO calls in a gas bombardment (using gained tokens) but the arty sends the toxic shells 10” away from the target.. AND ON THE TRENCHERS’ SIDE! Luckily, they’re granted with gas masks.. -.-“
TURN 4
Armored chasseurs fire: no harm to anyone. Trenchers fire: 1 more wound to the Everassur, who decides to fall back to gain a clear field of fire. Then the Blood Berets shows everyone the meaning of their name. They simply exterminate the Cybertronic survivors! Like a brutal death symphony, the chainrippers’ crescendo harmonizes with the dying’s screams, leading the battle to the end…
TURN 5
The Blood Berets and the trenchers have conquered the convergence, but the Everassur is not within 6” from a table edge (in fact he is at 6” and 1\4!!), so, from today, Her Serenity’s Greyhounds will be granted with the best fuel in the solar system…
Farraday has shown his valor but didn’t achieve his objective, and so the Everassur.
CONCLUSIONS
The whole game has been characterized by an insane amount of luck on my dice, and an incredible quantity of 19s and 20s for my opponent. Still, I think that Blood Berets can save you the day, and the Armored Chasseurs need either a good heal roll (5 could be good) or an extra wound.. Do you agree on a “stalk” bonus on the Mirrormen? The fluff suggests it, and they would be more survivable without making them too strong.. Is it just me, or the trenchers are not that good? I often found myself in need of 10s, even 9s or 8s to save (which I did in this game :P )..

Hope you liked the report, and hope you’ll say your opinion! Happy gaming! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:33 pm 

Love the board. The oil/water is a nice touch.

We did Similar for 2nd end. We had 4 boards that would work as a Cave system if you used the lower sections. Or raised areas if you used the higher portions.
Must ask Brian about his boards.

My Advice to the cyber player would be break up the Chassuers into a smaller squads to give you a bit more flexibility in dealing with the enemy threat.
But man with Blink and the Shotguns the AC should have been all over the Trenchers. Next time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:15 am 

So you'd suggest to engage in CC the trenchers? this confirms me the fact that trenchers are not scary troops.. I love their minis, and their HMG, but I think they're a bit under performant..

thanks A LOT for the table :mrgreen: I'm so damn proud of my dizzy ideas!! :roll:
The cave system is a thing that I'll keep in mind for a Mercury board :)