It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:24 am 

Since I have my models and book, I am contemplating what I will field. I'm not talking about specific lists, but a more general approach: what models do you field and when?

In general what I like about Cybertronic is they will function like a strike team, hitting fast and from up close. The Armoured Chasseurs, Mirrormen, Scorpions and Machinators all work best close to the enemy. Cybertronic isn't about defending a fire base, the Chasseurs, Atillas and EDD are the real fire support. And even then, the Atillas will still want to be in a forward position so they can utilize their Resonance well.
The good thing is with Rapid Deployment, Infiltration, (Power) Blink, and the mirrored suits you have some nifty tricks up your sleeve to get your strike teams to the enemy and decide which enemy will die.
In terms of strategy I think Cybertronic works best to go hunting objectives. So keep your opponent off the objectives, rush in and maybe use Scorpions to harass/stall faster units.

After having checked the cards, you really need Resource cards. A lot of abilities cost 3 Resources so that means you want at least 6 if you want some options. We don't have funny tricks like Capitol to get extra Resource cards in army design, so we needs troops. But which troops? We now have two choices: Chasseurs and Armoured Chasseurs.
My personal preference is to Armoured Chasseurs: they have more staying power and a lot of firepower. The Blink (and in desperate times Power Blink) ability is absolutely terrific since you simply don't care about scenery anymore. You can first run behind a big blocking building/rock/whatever and next turn Blink past the building and unload your guns. I think it makes Armoured Chasseurs a powerful flanking force which are hard to stop if you use scenery well.
The regular Chasseurs serve a different role. Their light armour and longer range means you probably want to hold them back more as a central fire squad. They do work best in light cover IMO, because it doesn't hinder them adds to their survivability especially with the mirage generator activated.
I think three troop squads form a good core and for me that's two Armoured Chasseur squads and one Chasseur squad. With two squads of Armoured Chasseurs you have some nice flanking units with the Chasseur squad taking up the centre. I guess that using small sized squads of Armoured Chasseurs gives the advantage they don't eat up too much points and it's easier to keep them safe behind scenery. The disadvantage is their impact won't be ideal as they can pump out only that much shots. So their main role would be harassment. Use scenery and Mirage Generators and they can get hard to kill (especially with some bonuses to Armour by using cards). Having a bigger Chasseur squad gives you a good central pool of firepower and enough bodies to take hits. And if they attract firepower, that's okay...they're not THAT important. Soaking up firepower so your important Support choices can get to the enemy is perfect.

For support it comes down to your personal taste and style. Personally I'm in love with Machinators and Scorpions. Machinators have nice raw damage output with some serious Armour to back them up. Combine them with a Mirage Generator and they can really soak up damage. With Infiltration getting down unto the right opposing elements should be doable. Especially if you combine them with Armoured Chasseurs. I'd always take the HMG upgrade. Being able to pin squads with only one model is great and he makes a good bullet magnet. Now the Machinators aren't cheap and you may question their point-effectiveness. I think their effectivity isn't down to simple killing power, but more to board control and attrition. And when playing scenarios, that's always great.
Now the Scorpions are quite bizarre. Terrific abilities and downright nasty with firepower, burrowing and close combat attacks. They make perfect harassers. Unburrow, cause mayhem and if you survive, burrow again. They will attract a lot of attention and will probably die, but I think they will freak out any opponent. Having the possibility of them popping out next to you with some nasty hardware keeps your opponent on his toes. I'm doubting to use two Scorpions as two Support choices or one with two models. The first choice seems like a better terror-tactic and is a good way to screw with activations...but it also eats up one more Support choice and these are important. The Scorpions aren't cheap either, so they do need some good use. I think it'll be one of our greatest tools in our arsenal but needs practice to use it best.
Next up is the Atillas...a great unit with some serious firepower but they come at a hefty price. And they also have a different role than Machinators and Scorpions. Unlike them, Atillas should be used for their firepower and durability but make sure you keep them intact. This way you have a great mobile tool to apply pressure on elements threating objectives and their Resonance is great for later in the game once the sturdier pieces are left. If you can use this ability well you can really screw with the armoured stuff.
The Mirrormen are an effective assault tool and which can also be used for harassment and to screw your opponent's plan. Chroming up a Mirrormen near a Mirage Generator with some card buffs to armour, they can really give your opponent some headaches. If you manage to get them into combat, they can really cause havoc. The best thing about them is they give you some serious close combat tools. Let's face it, most of our stuff isn't really made to excel at close combat. Having the Mirrormen, you can really go for the nasty close combat stuff if you want so your shooters stay out of their range and can use their guns effectively.

Our huge walker, the EDD...he comes with some serious firepower, but he will attract loads of firepower. With his size he will be hard to hide and I think he will be targeted by loads of nasty guns. That's a downside and also an advantage if you use it well. Although fielding it centrally probably gives it the most options on who to engage, but I think a flanking role may be better for him. This way he is threatened by less opponents and he really threatens your opponents flank. So basically you're screwing with his plan. Chances are he needs to redeploy a lot or Rapid Deploy some nasty stuff close to the EDD, giving the rest of your force some breathing space. I wouldn't make the EDD the ace in your lineup because I don't think he will survive. So maybe better use him for flanking manouvres and as a ranged threat. If you manage to keep him on the field long enough he may be able to dominate the endgame when stuff has died.

The Voltigeur is an odd one. I like him as he gives options and versatility and that's always good. But the exact function needs some practice.

So what are your thoughts on Cybertronic? Any ideas how you will approach your list building? No thoughts on the heroes yet, that's for later :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:05 pm 

I've found that the easiest way to do a list was by theme.

I've got a few ideas for 500 pts lists that can be used as a base to build a larger force. I don't have them with me right now but I'll see when I can upload them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:15 pm 

Voltigeur??? Is this the new unit from the book?

What is it a medium vehicle?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:12 pm 

Lovely comments on the synergy. Some of your comments are straight out of our ideas of playstyle, others a little more off the wall. Very interesting to read.

So pleased to see it all being assimilated though!

The Voltigeur is a new Light Vehicle for Cybertronic. A large A.I. walking unit, the 'mother' to a brood of resource gathering droids.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 am 

rob_alderman wrote:
Lovely comments on the synergy. Some of your comments are straight out of our ideas of playstyle, others a little more off the wall. Very interesting to read.

So pleased to see it all being assimilated though!

So far it's all based on theory and I can't wait to see how it all plays out. My mate has received his Capitol so we're aiming for our first games at the end of the month. I hope to play a lot in the coming months and to test out strategies.
Assembled some more miniatures yesterday and DAMN, that's so easy. Love the resin man, love it.

@micmellon: it's a four-legged walker on a 50mm base IIRC with an energy gun and it spawns small drones. The drones can become mines, annoy opponents and help your own troops. I can't really imagine what he will look like, but I assume he will either be like an AT-AT or maybe more squat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:12 am 

Having finally gotten to see my Cybers in action the table, I am definitely struck by the interesting mixture of traits they possess.

They are definitely an esoteric faction with a lot of wildly different units.

Chasseur are definitely making a name for themselves due to high natural ROF and a good range. Even an un-upgraded squad can shred infantry quite readily. I have not doubt that had the Venusian Rangers in my game not have been given camo cloaks, they would have died far sooner. The high basic ROF means that they also don't need much in the way of resources to do their job. Drop a Mirage token in a good firing position and send them on their way to act as something not unlike horse archers. For these guys, speed upgrades and maybe an RS boost would be good options if you have the points. Perhaps even a bit of camo. They are fairly pricey compared to all but Hussars (as far as basic infantry units go), but they punch quite hard. Just keep them away from blast weaponry and use that stand-off distance to your advantage.

Armoured Chasseur have a lot of the great upsides of Chasseur. They have high base firepower and are also relatively zippy (due to Blink). But they are definitely geared toward taking ground. That heavy armour proved to be invaluable against heavy weapon fire and they kept standing against some pretty heavy attacks. They can also be resource hogs if you really want to go wild with them in close (unless the enemy decides that moving in to SMG+Shottie range for you sounds swell). They make for a great hammer unit to smash against the enemy when backed up by their larger brethren.

I love the flexibility of Machinators. Having that much firepower with camo and infiltrate is a dream come true. They can be a great early line-breaker against enemy forces. They are also decidedly tough to kill with conventional weaponry (and even specialized weaponry). With them, I'd be inclined to bump up their RS and make them as shooty as possible. They should be your early firebase unit, getting a good position and just keeping the enemy's heads down.

Sadly, didn't get to see much of what the Everassur could do. I love it (and the Immortal) on paper, but sadly it only killed a single Etoile before it met an unceremonious end with a lucky crit from Max Steiner. So needless to say, it never really got to stretch its legs. Pretty mini though. :lol:

Can't wait to test the rest out. Definitely want to give a Scorpion ambush squad a go when I get to give them a try. Rapid Deployment can be nasty when used well.

Overall, they seem like one of the more flexible factions with a definite penchant for firepower and survivability, with even their basic troop squads being able to mount as many heavy weapons as you see on some force's elite squads.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:57 am 

Two games down with Cybertronic and I have some more thoughts on the faction. We played basic games (so no cards, only resources) and two troops were enough. This ensures me I had more points left for the support choices. I did really like to have Chasseurs on a flank. They have excellent range, so don't suffer that much from being farther away from the action. And they will probably also encounter less resistance. And that's something they're not keen on because their Armour is crap. The Mirage Generator is cool, but it makes the squad way too static. So far the two games I played were quite dynamic and squads kept moving a lot. So I don't really see these Generators as selling points (unless they are in a well defended position with excellent fire lanes).
Armoured Chasseurs are the real work horses: excellent mobility thanks to Blink and Power Blink, terrific stats and a lot of firepower. All in all I think they are great. But you do need to make sure you don't loose them in a firefight as they are way too expensive for that. Fortunately, with Blink it's not that hard to make sure you're the first one to strike. The main downside of them is the range of their guns. 18" is not that great in a game about guns. I faced off twice against Capitol and they all outrange you. And yes, Heavy Infantry are ABSURD with their 28" range...

The Scorpion is insane...INSANE! It's a "fire & forget" nuke in your arsenal and you are almost sure a lot of stuff will die once he pops up. Not only this, but the mental impact on your opponent is even more fun. Even with one Scorpion underground, enemies are forced to keep their squads well dispersed if they don't want to have a lot of the models dying. The Scorpion will die, and probably in the turn he un-burrows, but that is okay. The idea of three of them popping up is nasty as hell...

Although I only used them once I wasn't overly impressed by the Machinators. Although their base Armour is high, the raw damage output of stuff like Capitol Heavy Infantry means you don't get a hefty Armour check once they hit you. And two wounds can be taken off without two much hassle. My main problem is their Rate of Fire of 2 and Strength 12 guns. That's not really scary stuff. So I don't really see what their role will be.

Love the Atillas! Good defensive stats and excellent offensive power. If you add a Weapons Overhaul they get an insane Strength 15 gun. Burn a Resource and you get 4 shots each. That is bound to kill stuff. In addition, they have good range and good armour. So hard to take down and excellent in a firefight. At first I thought they were too expensive, but now I think they will be a real mainstay in the faction for a lot of games.

The Everassur performs nicely. His gun is cool, but my opponent quickly reacted to him by spreading out. That is a good thing as it forces him to move to positions where he doesn't want his models to be. And with large squads it can be almost impossible to spread out everything to ensure they are all more than 3" away from each other. The gun itself is nasty business once it hits and with his innate re-roll he is a monster. But like with the Chasseurs, the Range of 18" is a problem. He needs to be in the middle of it to get some good shots off. Easier said than done and it also means he is more vulnerable. Although he has 4 wounds and can get Heal 5, he can be put down by squads. I think a unit of Heavy Infantry can get rid of him in one turn if they are a bit lucky.

Next game I will try the Machinators again, and maybe also the Mirrormen. About the Mirrormen...I don't really see how they will shine on the field with all those guns. They have nice defensive tech, but pour enough shots in them and they will get hurt. On the other hand, shooting them means you don't shoot other stuff :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:42 pm 

Judging from the look of the board you were playing on, you don't seem to have that much cover. This might be a reason why you find certain units underperforming. I figure that most boards should restrict LoS a lot in a game like this, where the only way you'll actually be able to "see" for 28" is limited to maybe one or two spots, probably on some form of high ground.

Caveat: I have yet to play a game. Still in the process of building models, and I refuse to play with unpainted ones, so might take a while. Just my personal experience with wargaming about guns, especially in a skirmish setting.

EDIT: I realise now I should have been more precise. You have lots of cover, but virtuall unrestricted firelanes, with a few exceptions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:27 pm 

We're playing another game tonight! This time 1000 points. I went for a minimum in special stuff and a custom warlord:

Custom Warlord (Ranged) (140)
6 Chasseurs (90)
6 Armoured Chasseurs (150)
5 Armoured Chasseurs (125)
2 Atillas (Weapon Cyber Link: +1RS when aiming) (200)
Scorpion (95)
4 Machinators (200)
Total: 1000

Warlord
M: 5
CC: 12
RS: 18 (+2)
ST: 8
CON: 10
WP: 16
LD: 16
A: 13(11) (+1)

Ranged Weapon
R: 24
ST: 16 (+2)
ROF: 4 (+1)
AVV: 2
Type: Plasma

Close Combat
R: 1.5
ST: +1
ROA: 2
AVV: 0

Skills: Shielded, Fearless, Crack Shot, Sniper (15 pts), Camouflage (2) (15 pts), Target Sense

Tomorrow another battle report...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:08 pm 

Malebolgia wrote:
We're playing another game tonight! This time 1000 points. I went for a minimum in special stuff and a custom warlord:

Custom Warlord (Ranged) (140)
6 Chasseurs (90)
6 Armoured Chasseurs (150)
5 Armoured Chasseurs (125)
2 Atillas (Weapon Cyber Link: +1RS when aiming) (200)
Scorpion (95)
4 Machinators (200)
Total: 1000

Warlord
M: 5
CC: 12
RS: 18 (+2)
ST: 8
CON: 10
WP: 16
LD: 16
A: 13(11) (+1)

Ranged Weapon
R: 24
ST: 16 (+2)
ROF: 4 (+1)
AVV: 2

Close Combat
R: 1.5
ST: +1
ROA: 2
AVV: 0

Skills: Shielded, Fearless, Crack Shot, Sniper (15 pts), Camouflage (2) (15 pts), Target Sense

Tomorrow another battle report...

I will be especially interested to hear your thoughts on how well a custom made lord worked for you...to see if it was worth the points.