It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:44 pm 

Nice to see some variety :) I think I'll go with military gray, perhaps with some black and/or blue :ugeek:

The blue-ish paintjob of old times reminds me too much of Space Marines :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:34 pm 

So, now I'm torn between doing a titanium blue-grey (close to classic just "modernized" a bit), or using a martian camo color scheme to match the table I'll be playing on. "Strength and Stealth" kinda seems to imply their colors would be more fluid and situationally correct, saving the Napoleonic Blue for "dress situations" perhaps. Really not sure which direction to go with them- but they look AWESOME!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:24 am 

Going with either a Fall autumn oak, a fairly simple jungle/forest look, or urban camo. I havent decided yet. Since they are a holdover army until Imperial gets released I am not too attached and wont be too critical. Definately will be camo once I get the models.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:00 pm 

So, I had a new idea for a colour-scheme....

Black with Red details for eyes and other equipment? Is it even possible to do black with any sort of detail, contrast etc? That top image could just as well have been the Immortal...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 am 

There is 3 ways you can easily do different shades of black.

If you look carefully at the picture you will notice only a few parts (bracers, top of head, certain patches of armor) are glossy black. So you could just do those parts as unmodified back.

A lot of his armor looks dull black or gray-black. You can do this one of two ways:
1) Paint the area white and once it is dried add a layer of black wash. Keep adding more layers of black wash for a darker color.

2) Mix your black with a combination of a dark purple and a little white. This should be a "lighter" shade of black, which will contrast with true black. Google on black highlights for the exact color combination.

And there you have it, a model with 3 distinct colors of black.

PS

To show highlights via drybrushing, i usually use white or a dark gray. Once that has dried I add a couple washes of black. Nothing too dark, but enough to make it look less white.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:46 pm 

Korcheski wrote:
There is 3 ways you can easily do different shades of black.

If you look carefully at the picture you will notice only a few parts (bracers, top of head, certain patches of armor) are glossy black. So you could just do those parts as unmodified back.

A lot of his armor looks dull black or gray-black. You can do this one of two ways:
1) Paint the area white and once it is dried add a layer of black wash. Keep adding more layers of black wash for a darker color.

2) Mix your black with a combination of a dark purple and a little white. This should be a "lighter" shade of black, which will contrast with true black. Google on black highlights for the exact color combination.

And there you have it, a model with 3 distinct colors of black.

PS

To show highlights via drybrushing, i usually use white or a dark gray. Once that has dried I add a couple washes of black. Nothing too dark, but enough to make it look less white.

Thanks for the input! I'll give a thought, and maybe a test.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:49 pm 

Hardest Model I had to paint was Gerry Andersons Captain Black 1/6 scale, all of the Spectrum figures need a black base tunic and trousers, then shade with greys. My personal favorites are Tyre Black and German Panzer grey, then the signiture waist coat is a vinyl black, so I used a semi matt black, The hat, belt holster, boots, were Gloss Black. Toning and washes with colbolt blue on any black shade, will finnish your work. Try this on any scale figure.
Cheers all.