It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:21 pm 

And another thread about a cool yet (to me) nearly useless guy.

Hard facts:
1) High cost (275 points)
2) medium survivability (3W with Impenetrable Armor 12)
3) can choose 5 spells for free but only cast so many each turn (2AP means a maximum of 2 (+1 if t2b for 1 extra AP) if he is stationary)

Now the "big" thing about him seems to be his 2 skills:

a) soulcharger token:
I read this through and discarded it. In order to use it effectively he needs to eliminate 2 models per game turn, which I think is totally unrealistic if you want him to survive.

b) Mind control
This can be potentially interesting. Taking control of an enemy troop can be supercool. On the other hand, with probably only 2-3 soulcharger token ever on Valpurgius, this is bound to fail. Most Troops have WP 13+, so the chances of this succeeding are bad. Also, you need to do this as Valpurgius´ last action - but if you roll a 20 before that, he´s done anyway :-/
Far more effective: use your own model twice. Land your Stalkers (CC or Flamer guys), flame or CC the hell out of your opponent - and force him to deal with them first. If he doesnt, you just flame again. Or CC.

But for 275 points this is a very (!) small gain.
Also super ridiculous: "Up to 15 Soulcharger tokens can be used to add a -1 Modifier". 15 token? That´s 15 kills on Valpurgius with... what??? Sure, if I had 15 token, I´d just activate the enemys Warlord... but when Valpurgius is alive and well and has 15 token, it means I have won anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:52 pm 

Truth be told I skipped over his rules since he's a Warlord only option but will try to give some feedback.

1. I would try to use the first "Soulcharger" option (cast 1 power for 0 actions) as much as possible since he's probably most effective just using actions to cast powers.

2. Dark Banishment (S) as the primary way to cause wounds followed by Call of Corruption (D) seems a nice combo for "Soulcharger". Casting both of those should net a few wounds a turn.

3. Other Dark Symmetry that I would take would be Necrovisual Link (B) which is perfect for Razide squads, Transmorphication (B) for his protecting squad and Dark Gate of Power (B) for instant heavy cover and 12" Heal(3) zones.

4. Haven't seen his card list so no idea if those help with "Soulcharger". If there's any cards that lower a squads WP then this would help in trying to get the Mind Leash off w/o using up tokens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:52 pm 

His advanced game cards are all about Soulcharge farming, without Valpurgius having to kill the models personally.

I'll come back a bit later and give you my thoughts on Valp, but I think he is way better than you are giving him credit for.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:24 pm 

Looking forward to seeing the cards. I'm still not sold on trying to protect a model that expensive with so few wounds.