It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:05 pm 

Hello everyone!

I have been fiddling around trying to build a nice Cybertronic army but I kinda hit the wall. See, I've built two lists already for other factions and I don't really know how to counter them or make a proper balanced list for Cybertronic.

Those two armies are:

Imperial with something along the lines of:

Melee warlord from starter set
trenchers
lots of blood berets
greyhound
hurricane with AV ammo

Capitol:

Big Bob Watts
Light Infantry
Heavy Infantry with chain bayonets
Sea Lions
Howling Banshees
Free Marines with rokkit launcha
Orca
"bullseyes" doctrine (+1 RS for support and troops)

Both of those lists have those big, nasty robots, lots of infantry and formidable firepower (had a few games in which Bob killed vehicles on his own).

So far I only managed to come up with a list like this for Cybertronic but I think it lacks punch that would clear out enemy vehicles and harder targets:

Everassur – 210pts

Chasseurs – missile launcher – 95pts
Armoured Chasseurs – Rapid Blaster LMG 145pts + Sonicator Receptor System (+2 RS) 30pts
Armoured Chasseurs – Rapid Blaster LMG 145pts + Sonicator Receptor System (+2 RS) 30pts

Cuirassier Attila – 99pts + Optical Enhancement (+1RS) 6pts
Cuirassier Attila – 99pts + Optical Enhancement (+1RS) 6pts

Exterminateur Attila – 135pts

Which nets me exact score of 1000pts. But I have some issues with this list - the only source of AVV is the Exterminateur (not counting Everassur's gun or Cuirassiers' fists) and those Armoured Chasseurs are extremely expensive with those enhancements and can die a horrible death to gas weapons. On the other hand they can deliver a massive blow to infantry with their shooty guns and RS 16. Unfortunately that's all I have at the moment, although I thought about getting a Scorpion.

So, what do you guys think? What would you change?

Also what is the cheesiest custom warlord Cybertronic can build out of the Heroes of the Solar System? We're not playing with those yet, but I was curious because I've seen some really broken Brotherhood builds out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:41 pm 

Well, after a few games I can say that 2 attilas aren't that useful in the army for such cost. Not sure about the Everassur either, but there's no better option as we don't allow Heroes of the Solar System warlords.

As of now the big idea goes like this:

Everassur

5 Chasseurs (to provide mirage generators, scoring units for scenarios and some random firepower)
5 Armoured Chasseurs
5 Armoured Chasseurs

Cuirassier Attila
Scorpion

2 Exterminateurs

So far I noticed that Exterminateurs are fantastic and Scorpions can wreck stuff pretty badly if they don't fail at rapid deployment. Having a single Cuirassier is nice too for the 18" -1 armour on vehicles bubble to get rid of enemy tanks/robots early on and later they can just provide support for clearing enemy infantry.

Another idea was to stay with one Exterminateur and keeping the rocket launcher on chasseurs (that single AVV 7 shot with Aim is pretty cool at scoring that one somewhat assured wound on the vehicle's most vulnerable location) while fitting in another Scorpion and some RS upgrade on one of the bigger models.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:56 pm 

There are a couple of builds I like. One is 'heavy metal', with a couple of Chass units for firepower and a custom Diana, then an Exterminatuer and as many Atillas as you can cram in (preferably with TSWs). give them Steel Skin and +RS and rail away.

Another is a rapid strike force with Armoured Chass, Enhanced Machinators and Scorpions. place your Mach with SSWs in good fire support positions and then advance as rapidly as you can blink! Scorpions for isolated and/or priority targets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:40 pm 

Are those builds effective? I must admit that I am somewhat doubtful over single models that cost 50-123 points that aren't vehicles - I know that it's not really that hard to get rid of an attila while losing one means pretty much 10% of my army suddenly disappearing at 1000pts game.

How do those lists fare against bigger vehicles like Orcas and Hurricanes?

Somehow i think that Cybertronic is overall overpriced for what each single unit can do and while I do understand that it's all about the synergy, it's not hard to lose pieces that are necessary for the army to work. It just feels that it's much easier to make powerful lists with all-around great units for, say, Capitol and Imperial, while with Cybertronic it's constant fight for the scarce points left.

Especially that Machinators have really low RS and CC stats for their cost.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'd just like to hear your opinion on that so I could see how those builds are competitive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:48 pm 

Unfortunately it can be an army of finesse. You do have to be careful about facing the guns of the enemy in full view, as that will get even an Atilla minced by enemy fire. On the other hand, small units can be used to good effect as they require less points for upgrades and fewer TTB cards to be effective. They also have better access to actions like Sentry as there aren't any models that won't be able to use it.

The key to the builds is how you use them and what they're facing. If the enemy has fewer but more powerful units, or example, the Scorpion becomes more effective. Against an Orca or Hurricane, the Scorpion is quite effective if it can attack in CC. If it takes a hit and you're worried about losing your last wound, just burrow again and get it back.

With Machinators, their RS and CC stats are certainly a weak point, but there are plenty of strong points to offset that. For one, they have a high RoA and RoF, cause stun in CC and can fire suppression fire. Their CC attacks hit VERY hard. In both cases, you'll have a small enough squad that TTB to increase RoF or RoA is quite a viable tactic.

Another thing to remember is that the Cybertronic abilities and cards often stack to boost stats significantly. You can also use your enhancements to build your troops in the way you want them- prefer shooting? improve RS. like to get close and personal? improve CC attacks. Like to preserve your forces? Improve A.