It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Getting Started
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:05 pm 

The host of my gaming group recently got us hooked on Warzone and I absolutely love the look of the Trenchers, so I'm considering starting an Imperial army. After looking at their units and cards, it seems like they could be good fit for my immobile, defensive play style, but I thought it would be best to get some more information about what Imperial can and can't do before diving into them as I did with Mishima.

Post subject: Re: Getting Started
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:44 pm 

Get a squad of Greyhounds. They have really good synergy with trenchers since they can provide each other with cover.
Trenchers aren't that good on their own, but they are good at supporting other units with smoke screens and targeting flares
Blood Berets are always a solid choice in my book. If your opponent uses non-flying vehicles, the Berets can cause all sorts of headache with mines that will make your opponent think twice about where he sends his armour.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:16 pm 

The new Imperial comes with a huuuuge pile of options so you can choose which way you want to go.

Trenchers can be a solid choice for your basic troops, but consider also the ISF. These guys are ridiculously customisable so you can bend them any of a number of ways to fit your play style. For Defensive troops, also consider the Life Dragoons (models to be released soon).

Your medals choices will also go a long way to customising your army.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:05 am 

The starter box for Ministry of War (the trenchers' side of the army) is amazing to get. Excluding the Officers in it, its the same price as Trenchersx2 and a Greyhound. I bought that box twice, and that was before they stopped putting cards in the box so i got a buttload of cards too lol.

ISF are unbelievably customizable. Ive been reading their rules for awhile now and i still dont know what the best way to run them is lol. I have ideas, but theres just so many options i keep going "Wonder if i used that instead..."

Greyhounds are crazy good until you face something that has Critical Damage2+ and can be Aimed. Specifically thinking of Bauhaus' Bazookas here but theres more than that. If those weapons dont exist, the Greyhound just doesnt seem to ever die. I rarely ever lose mine to non-Bazooka fire before turn 4...not joking lol. Heck my Hurricane Walker dies/becomes useless far faster than the Greyhound if that says anything.

Medals can make or break your list. Dont ever go without medals to squeeze a few more models in - theyre that important. I played a 1000pt game where i cut 2 of my 3 Grey Ghosts specifically because i didnt have points for medals, rather than trim my troops down (didnt want to give up my 2nd HMG). I am particularly fond of the Mare Vaporum, which causes range tests of 1-2 to cause a Con test in addition to normal damage at 2pts per model. You wouldnt believe how many times ive rolled 2s with my trenchers and splatted something mean that was about to charge their face lol. Or, rolled a 1 and killed a multiwound model.

As for your defensive playstyle comment, Imperials are a mix army. They have good shooting, but they also have good melee. However, far as i know anyway, nothing does both (except Warlords) at a good enough scale to be mentioned. Golden Lions are the Ministry of War's strongest melee unit, but their guns are laughable....i almost never get to shoot it because my charge range is WAY bigger than the pistol (especially with Timothy around).
You can easily build an Imperial MOW army without melee and play defensively. Leave a squad of trenchers closer to your opponent and pop targeting beacons in their face to improve the rest of your army's shooting, dump smoke screens everywhere, and have the crazy fast/tanky Greyhounds do an outflank maneuver with their Gas weapons.

I love my Imperials. I picked them up because nobody in the area played them (or Cybertronic) yet and i wanted to add another race to the pool. I had no idea that they were this awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:14 am 

Ordered a couple of starters, but I'm still trying to decide on how I want to ultimately run the army. I'll probably pick up some ISF, as they look pretty good. I'm thinking about running Martian medals so I can take my Greyhounds as Support and get a Hurricane for my vehicle slot, at least until Life Dragoons are released. I kind of want to pick up Rist for my warlord, but at the same time also want to try making a custom one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:47 am 

The thing about ISF is that they are intended to have so many options that they can represent members of any of the 50+ clans of Imperial. If you get into the fluff behind WZR/MC there's a heck of a lot of depth there that Prodos wanted to let players use.

@Vineheart, one way to mix good shooting and CC is to take a Blood Berets squad. any model may replace their shooting weapon (a decent infantry one) with a great CC weapon and some devastating skills to use each of them. Infiltrate with McBride, then charge into position behind your Chainripper-equipped troops for that IA13. That's before you start adding medals or cards to the mix.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:54 am 

I've been meaning to dig into the lore more, especially for Imperial. I'd like to try basing my army around one of the clans if I could find one that fit me well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 am 

@ADG_Wrath - oh, thats a model by model basis not a squad swap? Interesting........though i dont own any berets ive been tempted to snag some for awhile. My lions have been...underwhelming for the cost (though i think im using them wrong) and they dont give me any options to mix things up. Berets would. Mixing a couple of CC-based ones behind the gun-based ones sounds interesting.

@Steinwand - personally i find Rist to be the slightly-more-useful-but-still-crap Imperial Officer lol. He has some nifty rules but for the cost....ouch...then again he could have some hidden tactic im not seeing. The only non-custom warlord i use is Timothy MacGuire for The Fog and Vesting Haste special rules, and even though his gun is better than his melee hes still pretty nasty in melee when used properly. I havent used Oakenfist yet because i dont have enough wolfbanes assembled/painted to bring him, but he seems downright insane.

If youre interested, heres an imgur gallery of my painted Imperials so far if you want an idea for a theme. I go through spurts of painting so i still got plenty left to paint (1 more greyhound, 10 trenchers, 2 officers, 5 mourning wolves, 20 commandos, 5 ISF, 2 necromowers, and 4 pathfinders lol) http://imgur.com/gallery/9ESyi/new - i paint wolfbanes/MOW differently since theyre basically a separate army that has "allies" benefits imho lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:27 am 

1st Ed Imperial sourcebook for the RPG is here http://www.mutantpedia.com/eng/GDR.html. A new RPG will be coming out soon (in production right now) with updated details. The new Mishima already looks great!