It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:03 am 

Which Armour Value modifiers apply to/modify WP during psychic shooting actions? Is there any place in the rules where it is clearly explained?

Using WP for armour test:

Quote:
If a Model receives a Wound Effect from a Shooting Psychic Power it must use its WP Value for its Armour test.

Strength as a modifier:

Quote:
The Strength (St) of the weapon also Modifies the Armour Value

Weapon type as a modifier:

Quote:
the Stat line of each Squad will often include Modifier information which needs to be applied if the Squad is targeted by a particular weapon type.

Psychic attacks usually have strength and weapon type (plasma, blast, etc), so obviously strength and weapon type are meant to apply to willpower tests.

But what about other Armour Value modifiers? Technically strength is an Amour Value modifier (as quoted above) so others could apply too. There are lots of Armour Value modifiers from tactical/gear cards (both positive and negative) and from rules such as pinning, special rules of some models (Commander Diana). Where do you draw the line?

Personally I think that only strength and weapon type should modify WP during psychic attacks. Any broader interpretation would open Pandora's box full of absurd (like pinning modifying the WP test). Some house ruling seems necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:50 am 

There's a danger here from interpreting things too broadly. Think about what the text says specifically. The Psychic (S) attack (not a weapon) will cause a wound effect with a St of (X). The target takes an armour (or armoured) test as normal, but instead of the A value, they use their WP value. Therefore the A test will modify according to A type, but you're using the WP value. This is the grey area (along with effects like Plasmatic Fire, which halve the A value). Technically, anything that states that it modifies the A value (like Diana's Tactician Passive skill) will happily modify that value and be completely irrelevant to the WP value that you're actually testing on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:51 am 

So what about the psychic atack strength? Technically strength is an Amour Value modifier, but it is there (in the psychic attack description) for a reason I think (the reason: WP modifier).

As for the rest of your statements:

Quote:
the A test will modify according to A type, but you're using the WP value

Quote:
Technically, anything that states that it modifies the A value (like Diana's Tactician Passive skill) will happily modify that value and be completely irrelevant to the WP value that you're actually testing on.

I agree with you and that's how I played so far. Only the aforementioned psychic attack strength seems to be an exception (modifies the WP), right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:21 pm 

Not quite. As per the chart that shows how the St value modifies armour, St of a Psychic attack still counts. The only difference is that you use WP instead of A (as per the psychic rules), so the St of a psychic attack will modify the WP.

Clear as mud?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:31 pm 

Quote:
As per the chart that shows how the St value modifies armour, St of a Psychic attack still counts.

That's exactly what I mean (and how I've played) - in general Armour Value modifiers don't apply to WP, but strength does.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:41 pm 

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying above.