It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:08 pm 

im trying to build a balanced force for capitol and need a unit that can sit back and shoot till im ready to rush into combat

i have the capitol infantry to do most of the shooting with heavy infantry as a buffer against enemy fire and assault but i need a good close combat unit for capitol that can do well in a stand up fight to round out the force.

i haven't played any warzone games before and i don't know if the new units will have the same capabilities of the old units so i wouldn't want to go by the old stats anyway.

i need to know which unit i should take for this role the Martian Banshees or the Sea Lions.

i can only really afford one and wont be able to get more units for a LONG time so its kind of important i get the right one

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:26 pm 

In the past the still missing Sunset Strikers were THE Capitol CC fighters.
Capitol was in past mostly an assault rifle focused company and didn't care about CC too much.

The Free Marines and Admiral Colby's Guard were able to stand and fight in CC, too. But they wouldn't rush in CC because they were too slow.

Last edited by micmellon on Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:30 pm 

that's one of the reasons i said i cant go based on the old stuff, they aren't all there and things may be different in the new stuff, so im hoping someone who knows whats what can give me a little hint as to which would serve my purpose better

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:36 pm 

I was in the same boat as you. I decided that aesthetically I preferred the Sea Lions over the Free Marines. I pledged at The Five so traded in the other boxes expect for one Capitol Starter Box. Now if you use Mitch the Sea Lions become troops. I'm guessing that they will retain their 0-2 Squads and 5-10 models per squad. The short of this is that I ended up getting 4X Sea Lion boxes for a total of 20. This way I can have a pure Sea Lion force supported by light infantry, heavy infantry, martian banshees an orca and a leviathon for heavy games. Will it be a power gaming list? Probably not, but Sea Lions have awesome backstory and a badass leader in Mitch. Eventually I will pick up some Free Marines.

I have a feeling that Sea Lions will be a more infiltrating unit with ambush capabilities with mid range weapons. Probably not the best at close combat. Free Marines will probably be our jack of all trades, master of none infantry unit.

Capitol's Heavy Infantry will fulfill the role of CC monsters and Long Range support by the looks of their concept art. Personally I would use them in the long range support role by the looks of their monster guns. Sit them on a home field objective and let them have it. Light infantry will be our fodder. Use them accordingly. Orca's will probably have their same role as Heavy Infantry with the drawback of not being a troops choice and unable to hold objectives. Purple Sharks on the other hand will be harassing units hitting an enemies flank and regrouping for another attack run. They will most likely be very fast but very fragile. Martian Banshees also fill this role and will be relatively more durable due to the higher model count per squad (5 banshees vs 1-3 sharks).

Hope that helps.

PS: These are my predictions and are not fact unless confirmed by Prodos or Rob

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 am 

Sea_Lion wrote:
I have a feeling that Sea Lions will be a more infiltrating unit with ambush capabilities with mid range weapons. Probably not the best at close combat. Free Marines will probably be our jack of all trades, master of none infantry unit.

Actually ambush and infiltration behind the enemy lines used to be the role of Free Marines. The Sea Lions had only Jungle training special rule

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:27 am 

Sea_Lion wrote:
Now if you use Mitch the Sea Lions become troops.

Is this certain? When/where did Prodos state this?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:09 pm 

I dont think thye have and i hope it's wrong. Characters messign with the army composition is really hard to balance.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:27 pm 

is was alluded to in a comment by Prodos when the Cardinal pledger backed out saying that the "free marines as troops" ability might pass on to Bob Watts and that mitch might allow sea lions as troops

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm 

If I had to guess, I'd say Sea Lions are what you're looking for based on your description. Banshees have jetpacks and are generally fast moving, so I would say they're probably not the ones to sit back and shoot, rather zoom ahead and drop behind the enemy or capture and hold an objective while the rest of the force catches up.
These are just my opinions based on previous versions.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:26 am 

Well I honestly don't mind what their role is since I have enough other infantry to fill out the other roles. I'll probably wait until I get my rulebook before I build anything. I'll probably focus on Big Bob and the vehicles first anyways!