It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Capitol PDF
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:49 am 

It's not hard to understand, but the wording should be very clear so that power gamers can't misuse it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:53 am 

Big Jim V wrote:
You are splitting hairs I really hate when gamers do that, so forgive me if the following sound rude. It is obvious if someone uses a little common sense what the rule is intended to do.

For all intents the swap makes the unit a light vehicle choice, not a light vehicle. How is this so hard to understand?

it was hard to understand because of this.
Big Jim V wrote:
Any Free Marines taken by Big Bob as troops cease being support units and become troops in all circumstances including giving the army a Resource card while the squad commander is alive.

and this
Big Jim V wrote:
Yes if they change Offensive Org slots they become the moved to selection for all purposes.

and then this
rob_alderman wrote:
Xaxius wrote:
and if they are light vehicles can I put c4 on them?

Yes, you can!

i am by no means splitting hairs im trying to get the ability clarified so that it cant be misinterpreted (deliberately or accidentally) and exploited. i have acquaintances who would do these things in a tournament without skipping a beat i dont want any loopholes caused by poor/inconsistent wording, lack of definition on keywords, and unintended interactions, to ruin this game ive waited too long for it and invested too much to see that happen.

I understand what the effect of the abilities that do this SHOULD be, if you re-read my last two posts youd see that. however its not really clear on what it ACTUALY does based of the variations on wording over the numerous abilities and the lack of the games definition on what makes a unit that type of unit.

originally all i wanted to know was this.
Xaxius wrote:
ok so I don't see any info on this...

if I use Big Bob Watts in my army and take a squad of free marines as a troop choice does that change the units type to Troop or are they still a Support unit?

and clarified why with this
Xaxius wrote:
if I take Sea Lions as a troop choice and have the close combat tactical training of "2nd “Martian Quarterbacks” Assault Battalion" which bonus do they get? do they get the bonus that Troops get (+2 CC +2 Engage) or the bonus that Support gets (+1 ROA)?

because the ability says that they are "included" as "troop choices" it dosent say they are changed into troops but it does say that you get resource card that a troop squad commander would grant you...

the answer that i was expecting is that they would get the support bonus because they are a support unit and are just being taken as if they were troops and that the ability of the hero allows them to provide the resource card. but i wanted an official response because it may come up during gameplay. however you gave a different answer. one that could have all sorts of potential problems stem from it.

so i was asking questions to see how the rules would work based on the answers YOU GAVE and when i finally got the answer that made sense rob threw his answer in at which point i stated why that was a bad thing and how to fix the abilities and resource mechanics to prevent any issues.

maybe that needs a little explanation though. the reason i said those other things about the unit being a vehicle were because of the wording on the timed c4 ability

Timed C4: The Squad Commander may attach a ‘Timed C4’ to a Vehicle (friendly or foe) or Intact Structure if he is within 2” of the Target.

therefore if C4 works on them they ARE vehicles and I explained why that was bad.

im not trying to make you upset or break the game. im posting questions that i know the munchkiny powergamer players at my store would ask and then based off of your answers explaining how they would exploit the system. im doing this because I don't want it to happen. honestly its a good thing im not one of the munchkiny powergamers otherwise I would have just taken the answers you guys gave and shown up at a major tournament asked these questions there in the middle of a match and ruined a judges day.

and as to common sense yes its a wonderful thing however when it comes to powergamers (just like lawyers) they like to go with the letter of the rules not the spirit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 am 

I am out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 am 

Morning Gents Ladies,

I think the rule is clear : it says "44th “Wild Dogs” Airborne Cavalry Battalion: Airborne Cavalry can be taken as ‘Troop’, ‘Support’ or ‘Light Vehicle / Monster’. Airborne Cavalry using “Rapid Deployment” roll against unmodified LD and ignore the effect of rolling a 20 during Rapid Deployment"

This only refers to Off-Org Chart not Units Type itself.

in other words. they can be "takes as" not became "Support" Light or Light V." So they are "Troops" but can fill in a "Support" slot (off-org chart)
Please note, it's specified where, for instance "support" unit became "troop" (Sergeant of the Free Marines: An army which contains Big Bob Watts may include up to two Squads of Free Marines as Troop choices. Each ‘Troop’ Squad of Free Marines gives the Controlling Player 1 Resource Card as normal. Any other Squads of Free Marines in an army containing Big Bob Watts must be taken as ‘Support’ Squads as normal.)

Please also ignore Rob's comment regarding C4.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:03 am 

that's good. now how about rulings on on close combat warlord tactical training advantages 9 and 10, and ranged warlord tactical training advantages 8 and 10?
they are worded differently and I want to be sure what they do as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:53 pm 

Rob, there's no Unit Upgrade section for the Orca. What's supposed to be there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:05 pm 

Feralzen wrote:
Rob, there's no Unit Upgrade section for the Orca. What's supposed to be there?

Question has already been asked ;) There are no upgrades for the orca.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:14 pm 

That is the reason we need a offical FAQ!

Rob, do you remember?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:24 pm 

Remember what?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 am 

that they asked for a official faq

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next