It is currently Wed May 12, 2021 4:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Strange protos ruling
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:56 pm 

I am told An offical ruling said you can fire at someone you are engaged in combat with, with minus 10 mod.

For the record this completly contradicts page 28 6.4 para 1.

Any kind of combat that allows Models to fight and
attack one another while being Engaged with one
another is called Close Combat and requires a successful
Close Combat Skill Test.

So just checking that this isnt offical ruling is it? Other wise may as well just throw rules in bin.

Suppost too be so where in these forums that say you can do it.

Last edited by bruce635 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:07 pm 

My page 26 has no rules like that at all.
Page 28. 6.4 is CC only. Just above that it says you may shoot at an engaged model at -10, it does not say wether they are engaged with the shooting model or not. So one assumes it applies to all. Lets face it, this happens several times in the movies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:09 pm 

Oops page 28 my bag will edit and disagree while under cc heading it states any attack which allows you too attack model your engaged with is cc attack. That rules out a ranged attack too me. Unless i am being foolish. Cant read that any other way.
H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:20 am 

Yes, it would seem that he is right. If you are engaged with a model (ie; on the same tile as it) all you can do to it is a CC attack.

This doesn't stop you shooting out of that tile at another model, but the models you are engaged with can only be attacked via CC.

This includes any engaged tiles, because some large encounters with full tiles, spill over into other tiles sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:35 pm 

K!nG, I asked a similar question this morning:

"5. Can Ranged Weapons such as e.g. Plasma Caster be used by a Predator being attacked by Aliens, e.g. 5 Aliens surround the Predator - can he fire his Plasma Caster or is he bound to use only his melee weapon?"

and your answer was totally different to the one in your previous post:

"5). He can fire at enemies on the same engaged tile as him, but at -10 mod to hit as normal. He can also fire out to other tiles normally. At this time we are unsure if the tile he is on counts as shooting through an engaged tile for -2 mod."

So, can he use his range weapon against enemies on the same tile or not? :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:17 pm 

Sorry to confuse you. The rulebook says no but apparently Prodos have ruled that you can :( Yes we're as confused as you now too ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:51 am 

No harm done! ;) I'll keep an eye on this one as it's kinda IMPORTANT :D

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:14 am 

The rule book is very clear about RC and CC:
On page 27 / 6.3 ranged combat is described as an attack "over a distance of a couple of tiles" - not the same tile.
On page 28 / 6.4 close combat is described that any attack on engaged tiles is called cc and requires a CC skill test.

If someone is engaged, he has to disengage (page 33 / 6.6.1) in order to make RC.

I personally think to follow this hard ruling is the best approach to resolve gameplay without problems.
I'm a big fan of easy rules that work.

Being able to shoot the engaged models with -10 may be an alternative.
But one has to keep in mind that this rule is mostly a disadvantage for the alien player and an advantage for the predator player because he has the skills to handle that -10 modifier best. I don't think this game needs rules that strengthen the predators, because they seem to be a bit overpowered anyway.

And I'd say to shoot at models not being engaged with the shooter while he is engaged with another model is a pretty unrealistic option.
You don't shoot somewhere else while being in a close combat. It doesn't work, because you are dead within a second if you do not concentrate on your melee opponent. (Just my 2 cents as an ex-soldier and kickboxer)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:51 am 

Not an expert but I would suggest a ranged weapon could be used in Close Combat, However becuase it cannot be a Ranged attack the models CC stat is used for the roll and not the RS?